Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 Performance

Phoronix: Apple OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 Performance

While I delivered some OS X 10.10 Yosemite preview benchmarks back in August, here's my first tests of the official release of Apple OS X 10.10.1 compared to Ubuntu 14.10 Linux. Tests were done of OS X 10.9.5 and OS X 10.10.1 against Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn when running the benchmarks under both GCC and LLVM Clang compilers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

mac os Xlow

mac is slower than ubuntu ok. but in the MACbook! LOL. although i known that for a while

Comment

It is sad that Apple can't do better with graphics drivers.

Seriously the GPU regressions have been noticed in the Mac press. Regressions happen of course but it just looks pathetic when your drivers are already the slowest shipping.

Given that I still find it difficult or near impossible to go back to Linux on my main computer. There are too many advantages that make up for the disadvantages.

Comment

BSD tests

Michael, Any chance we might see FreeBSD 10.1 vs Linux tests with both general and game benchmarks and both FOSS BSD Radeon and Intel KMS drivers and proprietary Nvidia drivers? Maybe also test OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.? It would be interesting to see the state of open-source BSD performance as opposed to the latest Linux distros.

Comment

Power Consumption

What about battery life of each (OSX vs GNU/linux)?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Seriously the GPU regressions have been noticed in the Mac press. Regressions happen of course but it just looks pathetic when your drivers are already the slowest shipping.
            Performance is not the biggest problem for OS X. Bugs on the Intel driver are. Game breaking, not patched for years... A game works often flawlessy on Windows or Linux and it is completely broken on OS X.

Comment

Given that I still find it difficult or near impossible to go back to Linux on my main computer. There are too many advantages that make up for the disadvantages.
              name some.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                name some.
                It has a sticker with a bitten apple on it.
                Thou shall not resist.

Comment

How exactly is clang performace different on Ubuntu?
                  Kernel oder does OSX include a newer/older version or one that compiles specifically for this very CPU?

Comment

Like?

Comment

Working...
                    X