Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meizu's Ubuntu Phone Not Expected Until Early Next Year

Phoronix: Meizu's Ubuntu Phone Not Expected Until Early Next Year

While we heard Meizu would launch an Ubuntu Phone in December, it looks like the first Meizu phone preloaded with Ubuntu's mobile offering will not be released until early next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is not a delay to anyone who is following the development of Ubuntu Touch, final work is being done on the OS and early 2015 was always the best guess for the release date, there is still work on polishing the RTM, better to wait for few months more than to hastily push buggy software. And as Canonical said the final release date is not up to them but up to the manufacturers, they release the OS when it is ready and manufacturers decide how and when to ship it, I only hope manufacturers will put the Ubuntu logo on the phone, it would be nice to have Ubuntu branding on those phones.

Comment

Orly?

Ubuntu Phone delays?

Altought I prefer sailfishOS I'd like to see it running soon, but I loved a word written in an spanish forum ("humo"="smoke" in spanish): Humuntu.

Next year Jolla will make his second phone, but not in the first quarter, and I suppose that neither in the second one, when they will be working on Jolla tablet distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
        Ubuntu Phone delays?

Altought I prefer sailfishOS I'd like to see it running soon, but I loved a word written in an spanish forum ("humo"="smoke" in spanish): Humuntu.

Next year Jolla will make his second phone, but not in the first quarter, and I suppose that neither in the second one, when they will be working on Jolla tablet distribution.
        SailfishOS seems less open source than Ubuntu Touch, their UI is proprietary and I think some other elements too. What I dont like about SailfishOS is that it looks like Android clone, Ubuntu Touch has unique look and functionality with its scopes and swiping gestures. And I like that Ubuntu didnt opt for Android compatibility but for native applications, they perform better and offer greater flexibility and uniqueness, sure its riskier but Ubuntu Touch already has plenty applications in its store if I am not mistaken, and it isnt out yet And Jolla phone is too expensive for the hardware it offers, they need to price them according to hardware they offer. I believe Ubuntu Touch has a better chance to achieve significant (read-become something other than a phone just for geeks) success for several reasons, Ubuntu is a bigger brand name known to a much wider audience, it looks and works differently than Android and iOS and people look for novelties, it also aims for full convergence which is useful on several levels, from having your computer in your pocket all the time to business use.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          SailfishOS seems less open source than Ubuntu Touch, their UI is proprietary and I think some other elements too.
          That's unfortunately true for the UI. Still, they promised to open source all the UI stuff. We'll see if they keep word.

What I dont like about SailfishOS is that it looks like Android clone, Ubuntu Touch has unique look and functionality with its scopes and swiping gestures.
          Really, like Android? I don't think so.

And I like that Ubuntu didnt opt for Android compatibility but for native applications, they perform better and offer greater flexibility and uniqueness, sure its riskier but Ubuntu Touch already has plenty applications in its store if I am not mistaken, and it isnt out yet
          Actually, I consider Android compatibility as an important feature. The good thing about Sailfish and Ubuntu Touch is, that applications are both written in C++/Qt or Js/QML, so porting between those two platforms shouldn't be that hard.

And Jolla phone is too expensive for the hardware it offers, they need to price them according to hardware they offer.
          I agree, that the hardware is outdated, however, people tell me, that Sailfish performs great. You you can't compare only the hardware, but you've to consider what performance you get in the end.

I believe Ubuntu Touch has a better chance to achieve significant (read-become something other than a phone just for geeks) success for several reasons, Ubuntu is a bigger brand name known to a much wider audience, it looks and works differently than Android and iOS and people look for novelties, it also aims for full convergence which is useful on several levels, from having your computer in your pocket all the time to business use.
          I wish Ubuntu well! I'd love to replace my phone's Android with something different, be it Sailfish or be it Ubuntu Touch. But at the moment, I'd prefer Sailfish. Simply because I expect Ubuntu touch only to work well with an desktop installation of Ubuntu.

Comment

And with a Ubuntu Touch Based OS named Meizu's Flyme OS. Probably Ubuntu crowd are waiting for a Ubuntu Touch pure device and this will not happen...

gsmarena com/ubuntu_powered_meizu_mx4_to_hit_market_early_2015-news-10309.php
            Last edited by cocklover; 26 November 2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
              And with a Ubuntu Touch Based OS named Meizu's Flyme OS. Probably Ubuntu crowd are waiting for a Ubuntu Touch pure device and this will not happen...

gsmarena com/ubuntu_powered_meizu_mx4_to_hit_market_early_2015-news-10309.php
              Ubuntu Touch for Chinese market will get adapted in the way Meizu thinks is good, probably with custom scopes and services, maybe some minor visual changes, but it will not be that different from the usual Ubuntu Touch, if it ships for European markets it will get standard Ubuntu Touch which is a logical thing to do, and BQ will give vanilla Ubuntu as well. Chinese market is huge and has specific demands so adaptation to an extent is not unexpected, buyers outside China would have no use for it so I am expecting a Meizu MX4 with standard Ubuntu for international markets.

Comment

There is one thing good about Meizu wanting to adapt Ubuntu Touch (in whatever way), it means their are aiming high with it as the article seems to imply that multiple phones will get the new OS. Chinese market is huge and if Meizu meets success it might force popular applications from Android to get Ubuntu/Flyme OS version.

Comment

SailfishOS seems less open source than Ubuntu Touch, their UI is proprietary and I think some other elements too. What I dont like about SailfishOS is that it looks like Android clone, Ubuntu Touch has unique look and functionality with its scopes and swiping gestures. And I like that Ubuntu didnt opt for Android compatibility but for native applications, they perform better and offer greater flexibility and uniqueness, sure its riskier but Ubuntu Touch already has plenty applications in its store if I am not mistaken, and it isnt out yet And Jolla phone is too expensive for the hardware it offers, they need to price them according to hardware they offer. I believe Ubuntu Touch has a better chance to achieve significant (read-become something other than a phone just for geeks) success for several reasons, Ubuntu is a bigger brand name known to a much wider audience, it looks and works differently than Android and iOS and people look for novelties, it also aims for full convergence which is useful on several levels, from having your computer in your pocket all the time to business use.
                  Apart from waht Oleid said:

SailfishOS is not like Android at all. It uses native apps and aditionally support Android apps. Native apps perform better than Ubuntu Touch, or it wouldn't work so fluently in the hardware Jolla has. ?Swipping gestures? It's what SailfishOS uses from his beggining, before Ubuntu Touch was presented. Jolla have only 3 buttons: Power on/off phone/screen, volume up, and volume down. I am not criticizing Ubuntu Touch. I hope more OSes use gestures and give us free software with native apps. I would love to see Ubuntu Touch working on a mobile soon.

And there is the TOH concept. Soon I will have my The-Other-Half physical keyboard for Jolla:

Sort video with main features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64ja7WBHU8
                  Spanish review of Jolla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxAca-mp5EQ

Comment

So much publicity for a vaporphone.

Comment

Working...
                    X