Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Denies Opening Up Its Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Denies Opening Up Its Driver

Yesterday we reported on the Linux Foundation's message they have issued on the behalf of more than 140 kernel developers: Binary-only kernel modules are harmful and undesirable. While no vendor was singled out in this message, the biggest hardware manufacturer that has yet to provide any real level of open-source support is NVIDIA Corporation. Over the past few months, however, we've received word from our sources that NVIDIA may be planning an open-source strategy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd donate money to fund a third party army of reverse engineers.

Buy a bunch of people a recent nvidia card, have them produce public domain docs of every transistor down to the HDCP implementation..
    get nvidia's high end cards blacklisted by windows vista for any and all secure high definition media playback...

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      I'd donate money to fund a third party army of reverse engineers.

Buy a bunch of people a recent nvidia card, have them produce public domain docs of every transistor down to the HDCP implementation..
      get nvidia's high end cards blacklisted by windows vista for any and all secure high definition media playback...
      if you know of such an effort, a sort of dedicated warfare against nvidia, please please let me know, ill happily support it

Comment

Sorry but I dont think some of the sentiments in that article are entirely realistic, or for that matter even close... Sounds like propaganda against the kernel developers to me. How would properly and completely supporting an open driver cause workstation users to pack up and move to another OS? Really? I would like to try and understand the logic behind that.

I would like to try and steer clear of subjective ideologies, and instead stick with facts. Fact 1: The only limitations to the open drivers are the ones that ATi artificially imposes. Fact 2: It is only the artificially imposed limitations that would prevent workstation users from adopting open drivers.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. If properly and completely supported, an open driver can and will be better then any closed driver could possibly be. Ever. How would a stable and functional open driver, drive workstation users away? Seriously, I'd like to try and understand the logic behind this reasoning.
        Last edited by duby229; 24 June 2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

It wouldn't be a war against nvidia so much as it'd be an effort to remind them that they're /hardware/ vendors, and they should keep it that way.

I think it's worth it for every linux user with an nvidia card to pay the cost of the card as donation to such an effort, because a gpu is only as good as its drivers....

I'm getting an Ubuntu Dell w/ nVidia GeForce 8400m GS soon (no ati option), so for me, such a donation would be around $150.

Comment

well.. it SHOULD be warfare, they deserve it..

But again, if you hear of some effort, please inform me

Comment

Redeeman: we don't want to completely alienate the company while there's still some hope of them coming around.

Comment

Redeeman: we don't want to completely alienate the company while there's still some hope of them coming around.
                Not with the 4870 just around the corner... Wait till you see what that thing can do. Hahaha , but on the warfare part, I'd give it a little more time. Just a little more, but not much.

Comment

nvidia has had plenty of chances, if i had the means, i'd gladly invalidate hdcp capability of all current nvidia products, thats not nearly as big a punishment as they deserve.

Comment

Theirs is what used to be the mindset of everyone, even ati and intel at some point in the past-- i would attribute their problems to obselete thinking rather than malevolence. If they really hated us we'de have no drivers at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X