Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Plans For The Next Ten Years

Phoronix: FreeBSD Plans For The Next Ten Years

Jordan Hubbard, the co-founder of FreeBSD and CTO of iXsystems, gave a talk at this month's MeetBSD California 2014 conference about the next ten years of FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically, a lot of stuff we did at Apple.

Comment

The last item about service start-up improvements comes down to dramatically redoing or replacing /etc/rc.d and becoming more systemd-like.
      Sounds good.

Comment

[deleted]
        Last edited by teresaejunior; 08 November 2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Basically, a lot of stuff we did at Apple.
          And none of them contributed back. They should get rid of those leeches.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
            Funny how many folks have left for FreeBSD because of systemd. Haiku now?
            About 0 people did that, but you wouldn't notice by the comment sections.

I'm just waiting with popcorn in hand, should be any second now. Brace yourselves.

Comment

The last item about service start-up improvements comes down to dramatically redoing or replacing /etc/rc.d and becoming more systemd-like.
              This needs a bit of clarification actually. Systemd borrowed a lot of its concepts from launchd. AFAIK launchd works on FreeBSD but not as "PIDEINS". Now with that grant they received this might happen sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by somini View Post
                About 0 people did that, but you wouldn't notice by the comment sections.
                Lots of people, not here on Phoronix, have claimed to have left Linux for FreeBSD because of systemd. Most people here on Phoronix are for systemd, not against it.

I don't like the current state of systemd myself, and it brought me many problems on Debian Jessie, that's why I downgraded to Wheezy for a while. But I'm not in a hurry, and want to see what will become of it in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post
                  Lots of people, not here on Phoronix, have claimed to have left Linux for FreeBSD because of systemd. Most people here on Phoronix are for systemd, not against it.

I don't like the current state of systemd myself, and it brought me many problems on Debian Jessie, that's why I downgraded to Wheezy for a while. But I'm not in a hurry, and want to see what will become of it in the next few years.
                  Imho Debian just had a halfassed implementation of systemd for a long time(as in old version with no security/bug backports afaik), and not by choice of its maintainers. I had had trouble with systemd on debian and gentoo, while it runs fine on arch, suse or fedora.

Its kinda like what ubuntu did early on, focus on something and try to be good at it. Not saying its the way to go necessarily, but it certainly gets things running stable a lot quicker than diversifying and having to deal with dozens of permutations. If everyone runs a specific init system testing phases will be more likely to show bugs and configuration problems that only happen on certain hardware or with certain services. Also makes it more likely people will bother with supplying bugreports or even patches, cause lets face it switching to another, older init system thats also available and working fine is the lazy way out.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianB View Post
                    Imho Debian just had a halfassed implementation of systemd for a long time(as in old version with no security/bug backports afaik), and not by choice of its maintainers. I had had trouble with systemd on debian and gentoo, while it runs fine on arch, suse or fedora.
                    That probably explains why most systemd haters come from Debian and Gentoo, and most lovers come from Arch, SUSE, and Fedora. systemd on Debian is an abomination:

1. It tried to run fsck on my swap partition, and boot would take a long long time before fsck failed.
                    2. Hibernation would randomly fail, and my scripts from /etc/pm where ignored.
                    3. Shutdown was completely broken, I had to kill the machine.

No unusual hardware, I bought this laptop with a Debian based distro installed.

Comment

Working...
                    X