Quantum OS Aims For A Linux Desktop With QML, Wayland & Material Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum OS Aims For A Linux Desktop With QML, Wayland & Material Design

Phoronix: Quantum OS Aims For A Linux Desktop With QML, Wayland & Material Design

Quantum OS (formerly known as Quartz OS for a brief time) is a new Linux distribution mostly focused around providing a clean, very attractive desktop experience. This latest Linux desktop project is focused on providing a Qt5-based desktop that compiles with Google's Material Design concepts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The actual operating system will be based on either Arch Linux or Ubuntu.
    For the love of God/random deity/mother/... For Pete's sake.
    Base it on Arch Linux!
    Arch Linux has a much better rolling release system and solving compiling problems. Integrating upstream packages.

Do not use Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      Base it on Arch Linux!
      Arch Linux has a much better rolling release system and solving compiling problems. Integrating upstream packages.

Do not use Ubuntu.
      You stole my words

Comment

Just imagine how familiar Material Design will be to everyone once Android 5.0 gets around. Pair that with an easy to install image of Arch Linux and I think we got a winner. I think the Arch's AUR is a lot easier to use compared to Ubuntu's PPAs. Also, I doubt every PPA has an abundance of knowledgeable people making sure that all of these repositories are up to no good the way the AUR has with it's 50,000+ packages, 30,000 users, and ~40 trusted users. The only problem is that no one ever seems to clean up the AUR of old and broken packages.

Also, Arch keeps patches to a minimal. So, if the developers base on Arch, the new DE should build on pretty much every distro.
        Last edited by CTown; 26 November 2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          Base it on Arch Linux!

Do not use Ubuntu.
          Try praying to Chuck, Chuck understands.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This latest Linux desktop project is focused on providing a Qt5-based desktop that compiles with Google's Material Design concepts.
            complies

Quantum OS is being designed to confirm to Google's Material Design guidelines.
            conform

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Just imagine how familiar Material Design will be to everyone once Android 5.0 gets around. Pair that with an easy to install image of Arch Linux and I think we got a winner.
              Mobile phone vendors change UI paradigms like diapers, every major version almost. In a year, material design will be considered old and clunky.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                complies

conform
                Heh heh... Not even a proofread, eh?

Comment

QML, Qt5, and Wayland

Great, so we have another group of geniuses who are going to re-write KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                    Great, so we have another group of geniuses who are going to re-write KDE.
                    Well, if they remove all the nepomuk, baloo, unnecessary processes and the rest of the shit with what the devs have been bloating KDE for ages is worth a try.

Like many others have stated if it's based on Arch I'll give it a try. If it's based on Ubuntu, I won't even bother.

Comment

Working...
                    X