Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMP Launches As Another Open-Source Computer Attempt

Phoronix: IMP Launches As Another Open-Source Computer Attempt

"Open-source computers" seem to be the latest promoted concept up for funding on popular crowd-funding sites...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the IPM has been announced and it's a bit better. The IPM is a sub-$200 ARM
    M before P except after... (don't know where I was going with that).

Comment

This is a nice project.

Is consumer oriented. Is similar to a chrome box, but with more features and you can install more arm compiled Linux apps if needed, but they keep it simple with short cuts to popular web apps. Even office online/ one drive which is easy to view, share or collab on docs without needing more than a browser.

Also all the streaming and wireless accessories are nice add-ons. Hope they make it

Comment

Probably the case that makes it expensive? I have an Odroid, even here in Europe it was about 70 E for the base kit. I still did not have time for it, also because they have this tiny tiny power connector and it will take some time to get that soldered to a PSU in a safe way. But then why crowdfund something that just puts a nice case around this Odroid computer? If there isn't more I don't really see a point. They could sell that right away, without prior crowdfunding.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

This is roughly in line with the Utilite Pro. The Utilite's Vivante driver situation hasn't been great but I'm not sure whether the Mali driver situation is any better.

Comment

Launch open computer >>> Video full of macs.

LELLLLL

Comment

Ububtu, a shitload of google and ms crapware. a triple win situation.

where the fuck do you see the opensource in this one? it is just an ubuntu bloatware with spywares/adawares

Comment

Could be that i missed something, but how is this device open source? As far as i can tell, hardkernel does not do OSHW. And I, of all people, could be mistaken, but isn't the GPU driver they are using going to be a binary?

Yet another attempt to cash in, and lie to stupid crowdfunders. No serious project claiming to be open source will now ever succeed, idiots like this have ruined the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                  Ububtu, a shitload of google and ms crapware. a triple win situation.
                  where the fuck do you see the opensource in this one? it is just an ubuntu bloatware with spywares/adawares
                  ... with their version of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Linux with the Cinnamon-based "Imp Desktop." So Cinnamon is Spyware/adaware? well the mint guys will be happy to hear that.

Originally posted by libv View Post
                  Yet another attempt to cash in, and lie to stupid crowdfunders. No serious project claiming to be open source will now ever succeed, idiots like this have ruined the name.
                  Yes, seems like everyone wants to hop on the train to make some money themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                    Could be that i missed something, but how is this device open source? As far as i can tell, hardkernel does not do OSHW. And I, of all people, could be mistaken, but isn't the GPU driver they are using going to be a binary?
                    The board schematics are open and they even write that you can clone the odroids if you want, however this does not include the actual PCB design files and obviously also not the main Samsung SOC and other chips on the board.

There is also theoretically the open-source Lima driver for the Mali-400 that are on the U3, and according to the forums some people have gotten it to run on their boards. The official ubuntu distributions and AFAIK most other available OS images come with the ARM binary blob though. So I guess you are right that this projects will also use the binary ones.

Not exactly sure why making a case and installing a few apps on an otherwise already readily available and much cheaper system is worth a kickstarter and an extra $100, but if they find enough people to support it...

Comment

Working...
                    X