Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS Lands Its New Explorer Shell

Phoronix: ReactOS Lands Its New Explorer Shell

ReactOS, the open-source OS that's long been striving for binary compatibility with Windows applications and drivers, has landed its new explorer shell as a Thanksgiving present...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Old Windows is dead

Old Windows and Win32 is dead.

Now it is all about the .NET Framework, NuGet, PowerShell and Chocolatey.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Old Windows and Win32 is dead.

Now it is all about the .NET Framework, NuGet, PowerShell and Chocolatey.
      And the Millions of Win32 Apps are converted magical to new stuff? By the way most of the stuff based on the "old" win32 stuff. Its goof that ReactOS reached a new milestone.

And please don't get the wrong impression that reactOS is only for old hardware. they target NT5.2 currently because is a good step in.

Comment

I think people waiting for China to drop Windows completely

Comment

Really happy to see this project move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            And the Millions of Win32 Apps are converted magical to new stuff? By the way most of the stuff based on the "old" win32 stuff. Its goof that ReactOS reached a new milestone.

And please don't get the wrong impression that reactOS is only for old hardware. they target NT5.2 currently because is a good step in.
            I'd be wondering why you are running those old apps at all. If your company is incompetent and using locally-developed win32 apps, it's high time for them to pay their programmers to port their apps to newer toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              I'd be wondering why you are running those old apps at all. If your company is incompetent and using locally-developed win32 apps, it's high time for them to pay their programmers to port their apps to newer toolkits.
              People keep saying this as if these magical 'newer toolkits' somehow run on top on pixie dust and unicorn farts instead of WIN32 API.

Comment

Apps

The Win32 API is still very much used. Alot of the .NET framework libraries are just managed wrappers around the Win32 API.

Anyway, I thought the new development model Microsoft wants developers to embrace is "Metro" style apps programmed via .NET, HTML5 + Javascript, Silverlight, etc with new Metro APIs then distribute them all exclusively to the Windows Store, where Microsoft takes a 30% piece of the sales pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  The Win32 API is still very much used. Alot of the .NET framework libraries are just managed wrappers around the Win32 API.

Anyway, I thought the new development model Microsoft wants developers to embrace is "Metro" style apps programmed via .NET, HTML5 + Javascript, Silverlight, etc with new Metro APIs then distribute them all exclusively to the Windows Store, where Microsoft takes a 30% piece of the sales pie.
                  Even the runtime for Metro applications is a Win32 application as far as I can tell.

Comment

ReactOS

ReactOS is sure an ambitious project and is cool to look at but I think the reality is latest Wine / Crossover releases already offer better compatibility with Windows software on mainstream Linux and OS X than ReactOS does, plus offer a rich, diverse ecosystem of applications that are native to those platforms. The other issue, too, is that ReactOS seems focused on reimplementing Windows 2000 or XP, which are obsolete and the state of Windows and device drivers have advanced far beyond that.

Comment

Working...
                    X