Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.32 Updates Its Mono Engine

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.32 Updates Its Mono Engine

It's time for another bi-weekly development release of Wine, but if you're looking forward to the Direct3D Command Stream work, better D3D10/D3D11 support, or any integration of Gallium3D Nine support, you'll be sadly disappointed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if only fglrx would update on Ubuntu, I could try this without having a Thunderdome scene between the Windows emulator and the GPU driver.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceJunk View Post
      Now if only fglrx would update on Ubuntu, I could try this without having a Thunderdome scene between the Windows emulator and the GPU driver.
      Why not use superior open source drivers? Get one of Mesa git PPAs like:

Bleeding edge:
      PLEASE READ: don't email me to report bugs, unless you are sure it's a packaging bug. Not only is email not a good tool for tracking bugs, it also excludes anybody else from tracking or working on the issue. Please read the section "Debugging and reporting problems" below. Also, please don't ask me to include non-free drivers, I won't do it. Patches and suggestions are welcomed. ============= All Ubuntu architectures are supported. Supported Ubuntu versions: - 22.04 (jammy)

Even more bleeding edge:
      Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

Comment

What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is that D3D10 is 82% implemented in Wine, yet virtually no Direct3D 10 games work in Wine. Yet D3D9 is 78% implemented and the vast majority of DX9 games work at various levels of compatability.

As far as DirectX 11 and 12, I guess those haven't been much of a priority. It kind of makes sense because in order for Wine to support Direct3D 11 to OpenGL 4.x translation, it would require the actual open-source Linux video driver infrustructure and OpenGL compliance in Mesa to meet that requirement. AFAIK, only proprietary drivers support OpenGL 4.x but the open-source drivers are still at OpenGL 3.x, which can match Direct3D 10 features but not 11 or 12. Hopefully soon, enough GL 4.x extensions will be implemented to upgrade compliance status to 4.x in Mesa and the FOSS graphics driver stack so that Wine developers can begin to focus on D3D 11 and fixing D3D 10.
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 29 November 2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

In this wine version steam still working but arcania gothic 4 begins to work

However in cinematics only works sound

Comment

If there is a new mono engine then it would think than some lines of the new .net code is on it. So I wonder if this means more compatibility with some software.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
              If there is a new mono engine then it would think than some lines of the new .net code is on it. So I wonder if this means more compatibility with some software.
              This is wine information about opensource .net

We're mostly behind in higher-level class libraries like winforms, WPF, and the vb.net runtime, which afaik are still not available under a free software license.

And as of now it seems there is no plan to open source winforms, WPF and other client stacks. This and also the fact that mscoree won't be opened makes it quite unattractive for Wine.
              Last edited by pinguinpc; 29 November 2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                This is wine information about opensource .net

that makes sense, thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is that D3D10 is 82% implemented in Wine, yet virtually no Direct3D 10 games work in Wine. Yet D3D9 is 78% implemented and the vast majority of DX9 games work at various levels of compatability.
                  That's because those automatically generated statistics don't make sense for the d3d libraries or any COM-based library. They look at how many calls exported by classic DLL exports have an implementation - that can be seen in the .spec file, e.g. dlls/d3d9/d3d9.spec. Most calls in d3d9.spec are just fairly simple debug functions. The only ones that are interesting are Direct3DCreate9 and Direct3DCreate9Ex. They return a COM interface that has 22 methods, whereas one of them (IDirect3D9::CreateDevice) returns yet another COM interface with dozens of methods. Those are not visible to the tool that generates the completion statistics.

D3D10 works in the same way.

What is hiding behing "Improved support for restoring display mode." is handling for alt-tab in fullscreen d3d and ddraw games. So far it is working on KDE, fvwm and OSX. Any window manager forked from Metacity currently doesn't work because they refuse to minimize windows without minimize boxes. I've reported this bug only to MATE Desktop right now, I'll push harder for a fix now that the code is available in an actual release.

Comment

Originally posted by stefandoesinger View Post
                    That's because those automatically generated statistics don't make sense for the d3d libraries or any COM-based library. They look at how many calls exported by classic DLL exports have an implementation - that can be seen in the .spec file, e.g. dlls/d3d9/d3d9.spec. Most calls in d3d9.spec are just fairly simple debug functions. The only ones that are interesting are Direct3DCreate9 and Direct3DCreate9Ex. They return a COM interface that has 22 methods, whereas one of them (IDirect3D9::CreateDevice) returns yet another COM interface with dozens of methods. Those are not visible to the tool that generates the completion statistics.

D3D10 works in the same way.

What is hiding behing "Improved support for restoring display mode." is handling for alt-tab in fullscreen d3d and ddraw games. So far it is working on KDE, fvwm and OSX. Any window manager forked from Metacity currently doesn't work because they refuse to minimize windows without minimize boxes. I've reported this bug only to MATE Desktop right now, I'll push harder for a fix now that the code is available in an actual release.
                    Interesting. So how far along do you think D3D10 actually is in the current state? How close is it for something to work?

I recently came across a developer blog where someone created some patches to get some Direct3D 10 demos working with multiple versions of Wine:

http://pigflygames.com/index.php/blog

Pretty interesting stuff and maybe useful to Wine developers?

Comment

Working...
                    X