Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 vs. Fedora 21 vs. openSUSE Factory

Phoronix: OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 vs. Fedora 21 vs. openSUSE Factory

This week I posted some OS X 10.10 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 performance results that were quite interesting and showed Ubuntu Linux largely dominating over OS X Yosemite with a Haswell-based MacBook Air. For those curious how other Linux distributions compare in this performance showdown, here are some results when also testing Fedora 21 in its near-final state and also openSUSE in its rolling-release form.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's called Tumbleweed, not Factory.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      It's called Tumbleweed, not Factory.
      Not necessarily, before 13.2 there 2 rolling versions - Tumbleweed and Factory, where Factory was the really rolling one, so if Michael still has that then he called it correctly.

Anyway the merge of those 2 is somewhat confusing to many people, hopefully it'll all be clear in a few months.

BTW: it's nice to see OpenSUSE getting some good results compared to the other 2 distros :-).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Not necessarily, before 13.2 there 2 rolling versions - Tumbleweed and Factory, where Factory was the really rolling one, so if Michael still has that then he called it correctly.
        11 24 is almost a month after 13.2 release.

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        BTW: it's nice to see OpenSUSE getting some good results compared to the other 2 distros :-).
        Indeed. Also, all three.

Comment

It's nice to see that a mac can actually be made useful.

Comment

how about gentoo?

Comment

Surprised at the differences in the GPU benches

I was expecting crappy Mac OS GPU performance figures but I rather shocked at the differences between the various Linux distros. In a very literal sense it shows that most platforms have a long ways to go to harness the performance of Intels GPUs.

Micheal, can we see tests like this replicated every six months or so with the old data in the new graphs. The idea being to get a sense as to how drivers are progressing and hopefully we can get a feel for when improvements start to level off. It is pretty obvious from some of the graphs that the Intel GPU driver is still improving at a rapid clip.

Beyond that the Mac drivers seem to have a serious bug considering the spikes seen in the graphs. Maybe you should submit a bug report to Apple.
              Last edited by wizard69; 29 November 2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                I was expecting crappy Mac OS GPU performance figures but I rather shocked at the differences between the various Linux distros. In a very literal sense it shows that most platforms have a long ways to go to harness the performance of Intels GPUs.
                Different desktop environments, perhaps?

Beyond that the Mac drivers seem to have a serious bug considering the spikes seen in the graphs. Maybe you should submit a bug report to Apple.
                Maybe they should pay him? They don't give their trash for free. Furthermore, why would anyone sane support closed source system?

Comment

Working...
                X