Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative Pointer Motion Patches Published For Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: Relative Pointer Motion Patches Published For Wayland's Weston

First person shooter gamers can rejoice that relative pointer motion is being worked out for Wayland's Weston compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Minimize windows?

Now all we're waiting for is for the Weston patch to minimize windows.

Comment

While I'm very happy with where Wayland is taking us, isn't it kind of sad that we need announcements for trivial things like this? These features apparently are rocket science, but it really shouldn't be, not in the year 2014 anyway. Mouse pointing devices have been spitting out vectors since they day they were conceived, and 'minimizing' is a core concept of any windowing system. These are two of the most basic of basic features, one would advertise in early 90's. It reminds us there's a lot of catching up to do, and shows the damage X11 has done over the years.

I don't wish to detract from the much needed efforts of Wayland devs though. I'm really looking forward what Wayland will bring in the years to come.

Comment

Doesn't matter how "must-have" a feature is, when you start over from scratch it needs to be coded nonetheless. Also, in the case of libinput, people need to first agree on how to implement stuff.

Comment

I agree with Remdul. The progression of Wayland (or Weston) is suspiciously slow.

I really don't understand how some things, like minimize, aren't available. How hard could that possibly be? All you have to do is just simply keep track of whether something is minimized or not, then if it is minimized, don't draw a window on the screen. It's not like the window no longer exists or has 0 dimensions. Obviously there's more to it than that but I've seen CLI applications accomplish more difficult things. Even in KDE where you have thumbnails for minimized applications, there's a comment saying "breaks minimization", meaning, the window isn't actually minimized, even though it appears to be. That would be fine to use.

It's stuff like this why I think Canonical might have been onto something when they started Mir.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 02 December 2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I agree with Remdul. The progression of Wayland (or Weston) is suspiciously slow.

I really don't understand how some things, like minimize, aren't available. How hard could that possibly be? All you have to do is just simply keep track of whether something is minimized or not, then if it is minimized, don't draw a window on the screen. It's not like the window no longer exists or has 0 dimensions. Obviously there's more to it than that but I've seen CLI applications accomplish more difficult things. Even in KDE where you have thumbnails for minimized applications, there's a comment saying "breaks minimization", meaning, the window isn't actually minimized, even though it appears to be. That would be fine to use.

It's stuff like this why I think Canonical might have been onto something when they started Mir.
            This is a Weston and a libinput thing, not a wayland thing. Weston is the reference compositor. So gnome and kde should implement it to.

Comment

...The progression of Wayland (or Weston) is suspiciously slow...
              Wayland is stable and feature-complete. Weston isn't intended for end-user use. Neither of them require progression at this point.

We're waiting on the major toolkits and the desktop environments to implement a Wayland compositor, work which is progressing at a fair pace.

Comment

I'd like to know what the real benefits of wayland are going to be. Higher fps in games? Less cpu utilization? Are these going to be significant enough to merit the years of development on a different project?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Now all we're waiting for is for the Weston patch to minimize windows.
                  Minimizing, what is that? Is that what people waste their time one these days? *moves through a stack of windows on i3*

Comment

I really don't understand how some things, like minimize, aren't available. How hard could that possibly be?
                    What makes you think it is hard? The issue is that there is little reason to implement such things until actual desktops start using Wayland - we're talking Gnome and KDE here. These things aren't difficult, they just can happen many different ways and some coordination is required to get everyone to agree on the best implementation that is flexible enough.

You'd have a decent point about Mir if it was actually further along than Wayland, but it's still behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X