Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Might Shift To A Tick-Tock Release Cadence

Phoronix: Fedora Might Shift To A Tick-Tock Release Cadence

Inspired by Intel's tick-tock model of processor development cycles in flipping between architecture and manufacturing advancements, Fedora Linux developers are currently considering a similar model in flipping between feature releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Right. So what, exactly, is broke?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
      Well, there's the fact that assuming no further delays, F21 will *just* squeeze in at less than 12 months since F20... this on a project that claims a 6-monthly release cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Well, there's the fact that assuming no further delays, F21 will *just* squeeze in at less than 12 months since F20... this on a project that claims a 6-monthly release cycle.
        The Fedora 20 --> 21 was GOING to be a year. They announced that. That wasn't a "shock." Fedora tends to do 6 - 8 months between releases. This time, with the splitting of the products, getting ready for Wayland, etc, they said they knew this would be about a year.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
          Gnome3 :-)

this talk of a tick-tock kinda release might be good but all this is , is just plain TALK, it more than likely will not happen
          Last edited by Anvil; 04 December 2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

people that need/want this should just use CentOS or RHEL imo if they want/crave stability. by the looks/sounds of it, Matthew Miller is just raising an old aged subject again

as Noted by Richard Hughes, " im sure Desktop SIG wouldnt like this kinda Model " https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...er/204933.html

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              Gnome3 :-)

this talk of a tick-tock kinda release might be good but all this is , is just plain TALK, it more than likely will not happen
              There is nothing broken with Gnome 3. With extensions you can make it behave any way you want.
              Gnome 3.14 is excellent. I would rather have a simple desktop and add functionality than to have everything including the kitchen sink rammed down my throat like KDE.
              Last edited by grndzro; 04 December 2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                The Fedora 20 --> 21 was GOING to be a year. They announced that. That wasn't a "shock." Fedora tends to do 6 - 8 months between releases. This time, with the splitting of the products, getting ready for Wayland, etc, they said they knew this would be about a year.
                Sure, but that's the point - surprise or not, these big behind-the-scenes changes essentially forced the project to skip a release... it wasn't possible to deliver changes while keeping to a six-month cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Sure, but that's the point - surprise or not, these big behind-the-scenes changes essentially forced the project to skip a release... it wasn't possible to deliver changes while keeping to a six-month cycle.
                  I wouldn't claim that. It would have been possible to deliver the changes but certain teams wanted more time to do it in a less hurried fashion and that request was granted. It was a pretty deliberate decision and I think Fedora 21 has certainly been reviewed much more positively long before release than any other release in recent history.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    I wouldn't claim that. It would have been possible to deliver the changes but certain teams wanted more time to do it in a less hurried fashion and that request was granted. It was a pretty deliberate decision and I think Fedora 21 has certainly been reviewed much more positively long before release than any other release in recent history.

Just auto update fedora for ever. You don't have to make it rolling release or to drop the numbers, just auto update it every six months and auto replace software that is discontinued. You must have only one fedora auto updated, any extra ISO file or Terminal command for upgrade it means that you have failed. You don't understand that Linux must become easier for simple users.

Comment

Working...
                    X