No announcement yet.

AMD & Intel Work Hard To Fix Linux Driver Issues For Civilization: Beyond Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD & Intel Work Hard To Fix Linux Driver Issues For Civilization: Beyond Earth

Phoronix: AMD & Intel Work Hard To Fix Linux Driver Issues For Civilization: Beyond Earth

Earlier this week I wrote about Aspyr Media running into severe issues with the AMD and Intel Linux GPU drivers in terms of bad rendering with the Civilization: Beyond Earth game they've been porting to Linux. The good news is that Intel and AMD are now involved and working to get these issues resolved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh my wishes from yesterday

Well i wish to believe it is just weekly bloging update as it is It might be next week: "oh, we found what problem is with intel/amd"

Comment

Is this the 'Phoronix Effect'?

Comment

Originally posted by bastiaan View Post
        Or Phoronix Illusion

The two orange circles are exactly the same size; however, the one on the right appears larger.

Comment

I find quite strange that Aspyr Media wrote this post before(apparently) trying to get help from AMD and/or INTEL.
          Hopefully, things will get fixed anyway.

Comment

It's really frustrating how they never say if they talk about the AMD open source drivers (mesa) or closed source drivers (fglrx/catalyst). Without that tiny bit of information, all statements are rather worthless to me, cause I don't know at all if they apply to me. (I'm using the open source drivers exclusively, cause fglrx usually doesn't yet support the newest X server I'm using).

As I know Blair from Aspyr reads these forums sometimes:

@Blair: could you please tell your people to just write which AMD driver they're talking about in blog posts ? Thanks :-) And keep up the good work !

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
              It's really frustrating how they never say if they talk about the AMD open source drivers (mesa) or closed source drivers (fglrx/catalyst).
              Many different versions actually. Once our ATI issues are ironed out, you shouldnt have any issue on FOSS.
              Quote above (from Blair) is the second post in the comments section after the gameagent blog post. They're definitely testing with the open drivers, not sure if they are also testing with Catalyst.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                It's really frustrating how they never say if they talk about the AMD open source drivers (mesa) or closed source drivers (fglrx/catalyst). Without that tiny bit of information, all statements are rather worthless to me, cause I don't know at all if they apply to me. (I'm using the open source drivers exclusively, cause fglrx usually doesn't yet support the newest X server I'm using).

As I know Blair from Aspyr reads these forums sometimes:

@Blair: could you please tell your people to just write which AMD driver they're talking about in blog posts ? Thanks :-) And keep up the good work !
                Considering Intel only has open source drivers on Linux platform, imo we can be sure that they are talking about mesa/gallium drivers.

Comment

As someone who has played every civ and would love to be able to justify buying a new (open source gaming system)* i hope they do get it working.

Drivers have always the issue, but this year AMD seem to have at least worked out they need to change the way they do things, hopefully they can reach a milestone before managment gives up.

(*) would need to have open source drivers and perform no worse than 90% or so of equivalent windows system.

Comment

Originally posted by bastiaan View Post
                    I can explain you this.

Linux maybe does only have 1,X % of the desktop marketshare
                    But phoronix alone do have 10% marketshare of all computer tech websites. And all other sites the 90% are windows only websites.

So in fact phoronix alone can make a company look bad for
                    10% of the tech users.

Means if something is not on phoronix about linux it just does not exist for the companies

Comment

Working...
                    X