Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 In H1'2015 Will Receive Major Engine Update

Phoronix: Dota 2 In H1'2015 Will Receive Major Engine Update

While there's been signs for months that within Valve's Dota 2 game that it's transitioning from the Source Engine to Source Engine 2, it looks like Valve's next-generation game engine will be fully utilized within this multiplayer online battle arena game in 2015...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That would be great SteamOS launching title, and also great for chinese people to once for all drop Windows XP

Comment

It's too bad that we won't ever be able to see its source code (or if so, not under a free license).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        It's too bad that we won't ever be able to see its source code (or if so, not under a free license).
        While Valve can't open source Steam cause it would kinda break their business model, game engine is a different animal. Actually releasing it as open source would be in line with what Valve did for modding scene so far, it would expand on those ideas. I wouldn't be suprised if they'd did that.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
          While Valve can't open source Steam cause it would kinda break their business model, game engine is a different animal. Actually releasing it as open source would be in line with what Valve did for modding scene so far, it would expand on those ideas. I wouldn't be suprised if they'd did that.
          I would be kind of surprised. However, the current Source engine...

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
            How would it break their business model? They can't do it anyway.

Comment

Open sourcing the Source engine would'nt be a bad idea. They need developers to bring their games to Linux/SteamOS, so why not GIVE them the tools to do it.

And I'm sure they will make more money through the games made (and sold through Steam) by the open source Source game engine than from licensing the Source engine.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
                Open sourcing the Source engine would'nt be a bad idea. They need developers to bring their games to Linux/SteamOS, so why not GIVE them the tools to do it.

And I'm sure they will make more money through the games made (and sold through Steam) by the open source Source game engine than from licensing the Source engine.
                This sounds good, but they won't do it:
                1. They give them the tools, just not for free. They want their part of the cake.
                2. This only works for commercial games, free2play won't be sold so Valve won't get anything. Then there's no guarantee that every game using the "open source Source engine" will be sold via Steam, so again missed money. Last the license fee + the publishing fee is always more than the publishing fee alone.

It would be nice if they would open-source the Source engine when Source 2 will be released, but I doubt that as GoldSrc also isn't open source yet (not to mention that they already sold closed-source licenses and maybe are using third-party IP, there's some rumor that the Source engine still uses some parts from the Quake engine, but on the other side the Quake engine is GPL now, so if that would be true... ).

Comment

Working...
                X