Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgie: A Lightweight, Chrome OS Inspired, GNOME-Aligned Desktop

Phoronix: Budgie: A Lightweight, Chrome OS Inspired, GNOME-Aligned Desktop

The latest new open-source Linux desktop initiative is Budgie, a desktop focused on simplicity. The Budgie desktop is now undergoing possible review for inclusion into Fedora...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't this the desktop that the guy that was behind Solus OS was hired to develop? I'm sure he's probably the main developer of the distribution, too.

I honestly like what I've seen and I'm looking forward to seeing how this will mature.

Comment

Assuming this will be wayland compatible, I may consider switching my laptop's XFCE setup to this. XFCE is really starting to get left behind and I'd like to ditch GTK2. GNOME3 and KDE are a little too heavy (IMO) for a laptop, Enlightenment and LXQt seem too incomplete, and weston is more of a demo window manager than a regular desktop environment.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Assuming this will be wayland compatible, I may consider switching my laptop's XFCE setup to this. XFCE is really starting to get left behind and I'd like to ditch GTK2. GNOME3 and KDE are a little too heavy (IMO) for a laptop, Enlightenment and LXQt seem too incomplete, and weston is more of a demo window manager than a regular desktop environment.
        It isn't yet Wayland compatible but it is definitely on the to do list.

Originally posted by Ouroboros
        It is made by Ikey but he wasn't "hired" to make it, he created Evolve OS and Budgie DE in his own free time.

Comment

I would really love to see desktops not using landscape art wallpapers because that does not tell you anything about functionality while hugely influencing the decision making process (which imho is bad)

Comment

Finally, a not-fork project.
            gnome-shell is a plugin for mutter
            If you dont like look'n'feel of shell, you just make anoter shell, like budgie, not fork like cinnamon =)

Comment

I wish Linux "designers" stopped photocopying designs and become a little more imaginative. Besides Shell, Unity and to some extent, Pantheon, everything is a bad copy of the Windows world (or a copy of the copy, like in this case, being Chrome a boring copy of the Windows design).

The designer is full of himself and won't even allow criticism like this in his blog.

Oh, and before the classic excuse chimes in: be inspired by a design is one thing, blatantly copying it is another.

The most boring side of Linux, by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                I wish Linux "designers" stopped photocopying designs and become a little more imaginative. Besides Shell, Unity and to some extent, Pantheon, everything is a bad copy of the Windows world (or a copy of the copy, like in this case, being Chrome a boring copy of the Windows design).

The designer is full of himself and won't even allow criticism like this in his blog.

Oh, and before the classic excuse chimes in: be inspired by a design is one thing, blatantly copying it is another.

AFAIK they're open to ideas...

Comment

"I wish stop do make a new distro for each program fork."

I will write to Santa

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post

Not sure why you include GNOME Shell. For all that time I used GNOME3 I thought people gotta smoke something strange to come up with such unnatural design, but pieces came into whole when I started using OS X Yosemite weeks ago.
                    It's not a blatant rip off but they try very hard to mimic it. I'm not sure what 'it' is and who 'they' are -- Apple or GNOME dudes, since I'm not informed of evolution of OS X.

GNOME3 UX always irked me in a bad way with their strange design choices and ways to force me into dubious workflows, but after using OS X I understand that we, using Linux, aint got it that bad as everyone else -- we have choices and flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X