SPI Will Decide Next Week About Associating With The X.Org Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPI Will Decide Next Week About Associating With The X.Org Foundation

Phoronix: SPI Will Decide Next Week About Associating With The X.Org Foundation

Next week SPI will be voting whether to officially invite the X.Org Foundation to become an associated project under its umbrella...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As the person who pushed the board to become transparent and visible in 2010 (with finally public irc meetings and such), i must ask...

It's all good and well that SPI would free up the board members to work on other tasks... But i wonder, what other tasks would that be? Organizing the yearly elections and then... What? Evoc? Not exactly an earthshatteringly filled schedule tbh.

But, at the same time, why do i bother? Thanks to the much more public dealings, the board is no longer the 4 original xfree86 forkers personal gentlemens club and piggy bank, and things have massively improved because of that. But now that the board has a chance of being relevant and useful, they want to "outsource" their main responsibilities... Hrm.

Also, if we would only get some transparency on how freedesktop.org is run... Who knows, we might even get reliable infrastructure one day, without admins vandalizing repos (and keeping their admin access), or without users home directories vanishing all of a sudden because someone decided to not back them up and then not to tell anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
      It's all good and well that SPI would free up the board members to work on other tasks... But i wonder, what other tasks would that be? Organizing the yearly elections and then... What? Evoc? Not exactly an earthshatteringly filled schedule tbh.
      For a couple of years I was PMC on an Apache project (it seems that, technically speaking, I'm still part of it... anyway) and in my experience there are lots of small but important tasks a board needs to do: for example, recognize new contributors that show commitment to the project and grant repository access to them or take a final decision when a discussion between two old but stubborn contributors ends nowhere. But also, the fact that someone else do care about your infrastructure does not means that that someone will always know what the project needs, specially if nobody speaks on time

And you know, when adult human minds became free from repetitive tasks there is an almost unstoppable need to find something that needs a heated debate...

Regards,
      Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by RGB-es View Post
        For a couple of years I was PMC on an Apache project (it seems that, technically speaking, I'm still part of it... anyway) and in my experience there are lots of small but important tasks a board needs to do: for example, recognize new contributors that show commitment to the project and grant repository access to them or take a final decision when a discussion between two old but stubborn contributors ends nowhere. But also, the fact that someone else do care about your infrastructure does not means that that someone will always know what the project needs, specially if nobody speaks on time
        But these two things are two things with which the X.org board does not occupy itself... The fact they are not even using their resources for infrastructure does beg the question why it exists at all, or why it does not take this task away from freedesktop.org, of which the nature of the organization that backs this is totally unclear.

Comment

Working...
        X