Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Is Coming In Just Two Days With Big Improvements

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Is Coming In Just Two Days With Big Improvements

After one year of waiting, Fedora 21 is still on track to be released this Tuesday, 9 December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using F21 with Plasma 5, it's better than KDE4 because there's no tearing anymore when scrolling inside Firefox with my nvidia hw.
    Using nouveau because the proprietary drivers break the OS startup, maybe 343.36 fixes that, but rpmfusion didn't upgrade yet.

Verdict: Plasma 5 is better than KDE4 but I think it'll take 2 more years until I'll use it by default because it has many perks and whatnot.

F21: upgraded packages, nothing else to see, the installer's design is still shitty and weird as fuck, just with some bugs fixed.

Comment

For me this might be a good release, because they packed solr. Elasticsearch and neo4j would be nice too. With packages for EL7 in EPEL.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Using F21 with Plasma 5, it's better than KDE4 because there's no tearing anymore when scrolling inside Firefox with my nvidia hw.
        Using nouveau because the proprietary drivers break the OS startup, maybe 343.36 fixes that, but rpmfusion didn't upgrade yet.

Verdict: Plasma 5 is better than KDE4 but I think it'll take 2 more years until I'll use it by default because it has many perks and whatnot.

F21: upgraded packages, nothing else to see, the installer's design is still shitty and weird as fuck, just with some bugs fixed.
        I'll admit that the installer's design is weird, who really needs a 'hub and spoke model'? Like installations are pretty linear... But the nice part about it is that you don't need to hit any screens that aren't necessary. Only screens I use are Networking, if necessary, time and date to make sure Network Time is Enabled, then jump right to partitioning and move along.

I am looking forward to 'Plasma 5' I don't think its being the default though until Fedora 22 though.

Personally what I'm looking forward to the most is a single application: Cockpit support in Fedora Server
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          I'll admit that the installer's design is weird, who really needs a 'hub and spoke model'? Like installations are pretty linear... But the nice part about it is that you don't need to hit any screens that aren't necessary. Only screens I use are Networking, if necessary, time and date to make sure Network Time is Enabled, then jump right to partitioning and move along.
          I actually really like the fact that I can configure certain screens while other stuff is installing with the new Anaconda; I only wish they could make more actions available.

Comment

The Wayland thing won't even happen "by default" with F22, pretty sure. But it's usable.

Comment

Working...
            X