Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 346.22 Beta Adds X.Org Server 1.17 Support, Fixes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 346.22 Beta Adds X.Org Server 1.17 Support, Fixes

Just a few days after the NVIDIA 343.36 Linux driver release, NVIDIA has outed the next beta in the NVIDIA 346 Linux driver series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, good for nvidia, but the real question here is "does it work ?" : nvidia drivers are currently broken with most laptops (dual optimus intel/nvidia graphics) - vsync doesnt work, therefore all games or 3d programs are broken, it runs like crazy or doent even start, and desktop is tearing like sh**. So yeah, whatever nvidia is doing doesnt matter until they will fix this big issue.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
      Well, good for nvidia, but the real question here is "does it work ?" : nvidia drivers are currently broken with most laptops (dual optimus intel/nvidia graphics) - vsync doesnt work, therefore all games or 3d programs are broken, it runs like crazy or doent even start, and desktop is tearing like sh**. So yeah, whatever nvidia is doing doesnt matter until they will fix this big issue.
      according to phoronix, nvidia drivers work perfectly,
      also some game studios claim that(read some recent articles about driver support).

so you get this feeling until you get an nvidia card, and even better when you get it with that optimus crap.
      Last edited by Yorgos; 08 December 2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
        according to phoronix, nvidia drivers work perfectly
        Well, nvidia gives free cards to Michael, AMD doesn't. You can't blame him!

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
          Well, NVIDIA drivers are buggy with most compositors.
          True that.

Comment

working fine to me

Originally posted by startzz View Post
            working with bumblebee and nvidia-prime the big problem is x not the nvidia, xorg is a piece of crap in new systems

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              working with bumblebee and nvidia-prime the big problem is x not the nvidia, xorg is a piece of crap in new systems
              Hear Hear.
              Granted I bought my laptop specifically so I wouldn't have to mess with Bumblebee (Intel GPU is disabled), but still at this point in time Nvidia drivers themselves are pretty damn good, Optimus issues aside.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                Hear Hear.
                Granted I bought my laptop specifically so I wouldn't have to mess with Bumblebee (Intel GPU is disabled), but still at this point in time Nvidia drivers themselves are pretty damn good, Optimus issues aside.
                I'd say the driver is pretty OK, but the installation process is absolute garbage. The driver in both the standard Ubuntu repro and the xorg-edgers ppa lack opencl, but installing the driver from the site results in only a black screen. So I actually have to install the driver from their site on top of the the delivered by Ubuntu to get it all to work.

Comment

Nvidia had always crappy drivers. Thats why I'm using AMD graphics. I never understood why they hate catalyst/radeon driver. I never had any problems with it. I had 4850 and now I have 6970. Before that I always had NVIDIA and as always when I installed proprietary drivers my ubuntu crashed.

Comment

I'm only using Nvidia (6600GT --> 7700Go --> 630M), no problems. One single time I had rendering artifacts with a beta driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X