Civilization: Beyond Earth Coming Soon To Linux, Intel/AMD Support Restored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization: Beyond Earth Coming Soon To Linux, Intel/AMD Support Restored

Phoronix: Civilization: Beyond Earth Coming Soon To Linux, Intel/AMD Support Restored

For Linux gamers that are fans of Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, the Linux port of the game could arrive as soon as next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is awesome! I personally have an NVidia card, but I would've refused to buy it if they weren't going to be inclusive of all Linux gamers.

Comment

Good news. I have no intention of getting this until they address some more of the game's many shortcomings with patches and an expansion or two (one major patch addressing some issues is already out), but it's good to see it coming to the penguin soon. I have confidence Firaxis will make this into a great game eventually. They took what was initially a rather disappointing Civ 5 and made it into a great game with patches and expansions, I'm sure they'll do it here too.

Comment

I wonder what this magical setting mentioned in the blog post was...

Comment

so we were correct that Aspyr has an issue in their code :-)

Comment

I love that the Intel/AMD developers jumped right in and fixed the issues, together with the game developers! One, big happy developer family, we are

Comment

From the Blog

Linux Status

Last week we mentioned some problems we were having on the Linux version with graphical issues on AMD and Intel GPUs. Fortunately, our partners at AMD and Intel are totally awesome, and with their help, we?ve managed to greatly improve the gameplay experience on those chipsets. They were able to spot a setting in our code base that behaves completely differently on Linux vs Mac, and magically several of our worst bugs disappeared. While we still have a ways to go before we are officially supporting both chipsets, we can confidently say that both are in a very playable state, and official support will be rolled in ASAP.

Comment

My only hope is that more devs hear about this, don't shy away from contacting driver devs, and stop targeting NvidiaGL.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                  so we were correct that Aspyr has an issue in their code :-)
                  How can it be an issue in their code if the same setting behaves differently on different OSes? Sounds much more like a driver issue and they are now handling the differences in drivers between OSes in their code.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    I love that the Intel/AMD developers jumped right in and fixed the issues, together with the game developers! One, big happy developer family, we are
                    Hard to say no.
                    Epesecially when Aspyr uses public shaming in their blogpost before contacting you on how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X