Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing What You Love Or Hate About PHP

Phoronix: Sharing What You Love Or Hate About PHP

Much like the views on Phoronix or GCC vs. Clang, computer enthusiasts tend to have polarizing views over PHP -- whether PHP is a great language or work of the devil...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally, I don't have a problem with weak typing in theory, but PHP's implementation of it is more annoying than helpful.

For a high-level scripting language, PHP sure has cumbersome, bulky syntax-- nothing like the compactness and expressiveness of Python.

Also, here are some classics in the genre of PHP bashing:
    eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
    Here's a list of every function beginning with the letter "A" in the PHP function index: abs() acos() acosh() addcslashes() addslashes() aggregate() aggregate_info() aggregate_methods() aggregate_methods_by_list() aggregate_methods_by_regexp() aggregate_properties() aggregate_properties_by_list() aggregate_properties_by_regexp() aggregation_info() apache_child_terminate() apache_

The fact that lots of people love PHP serves only to prove that lots of people only know one programming language.

Comment

Fortunately, there is a guy who wrote an article about PHP that I completely agree with. It's called "a fractal of bad design".
      Here's the link: http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-...of-bad-design/

I personally tend to avoid PHP as much as I can. Why? Because everything in it is quirky, non-intuitive and I don't recall ever having any pleasant experience with it. And I haven't even mentioned its performance. There are some people who calculated how much CO2 emission could be saved if PHP weren't used: http://developers.slashdot.org/story...ook?art_pos=12

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
        The fact that lots of people love PHP serves only to prove that lots of people only know one programming language.
        Well i have programmed in Basic, Pascal, JavaScript, Lua, C++, C, C#, Java, and of all I like how easy is to develop my ideas with PHP, my favorite one. As me theres other people so your argument falls short, it just prooves you only know Python a Python fanboy...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          Well i have programmed in Basic
          top kek

Comment

top kek
            Dude python looks a lot like Basic so whats your point

Comment

PHP as a next-generation programming language
              Now that is a scary thought. I know each language have it's good and bad sides. Each language has it's area of application. But php is a language which always somehow manage to bore me. First of all whose brain dead idea was put a $ in front of all variables? Seriously? Another fact that many sub standard programmers use php and javascript to brain dead code base and call themself web developer is another reason for my hatred to them.

I know some good programmers use php very adequately but there number are very few. With php, it is very easy to make a mess codebase. Which might be fine for some simple web pages, but for a large project using php, from my point of view is worst decision. Personally I would be much happy if php+javascript die and go in hell

Comment

The fact that lots of people ITT hate PHP serves only to prove that lots of people here don't know any programming language.

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                Personally I would be much happy if php+javascript die and go in hell
                Yeah, let's all use ASP.NET instead.
                Last edited by prodigy_; 13 December 2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Personally, I don't have a problem with weak typing in theory, but PHP's implementation of it is more annoying than helpful.

For a high-level scripting language, PHP sure has cumbersome, bulky syntax-- nothing like the compactness and expressiveness of Python.

Also, here are some classics in the genre of PHP bashing:
                  eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
                  Here's a list of every function beginning with the letter "A" in the PHP function index: abs() acos() acosh() addcslashes() addslashes() aggregate() aggregate_info() aggregate_methods() aggregate_methods_by_list() aggregate_methods_by_regexp() aggregate_properties() aggregate_properties_by_list() aggregate_properties_by_regexp() aggregation_info() apache_child_terminate() apache_

Thank you, sir, for expressing my opinion

Comment

it has provided me - a non-programmer end-user - with excellent tools like owncloud.

therefore i think PHP is brilliant.

when people start making excellent tools like owncloud in in python or ruby, or whatever, i'll revise my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X