Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Godot 1.0 Engine Released & Declared Stable

Phoronix: Open-Source Godot 1.0 Engine Released & Declared Stable

Nearly one year after writing about a new game engine to be open-sourced and its code premiering in February, Godot 1.0 was announced today as the first stable release of this game engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, I guess we're not waiting for Godot anymore.

Comment

I took this for a short spin and I'm very very positively surprised. This might be one of the better non-professional game creation engines, on top of that it's FLOSS and quite easy to use.

I really hope it takes off, and eats a chunk out of Unity3d userbase ;-).

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        This might be one of the better non-professional game creation engines, on top of that it's FLOSS and quite easy to use.
        I consider it professional, as it's been used on comercial and professional products.
        May be it's not famous yet, and it's open source, but it's perfectly capable of cover the whole production pipeline, specially on android.

Comment

Sadly, it's rendering engine doesn't seem that modern (or prove me wrong using some screenshots). I wouldn't call it the most advanced game engine yet on all points.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            Sadly, it's rendering engine doesn't seem that modern (or prove me wrong using some screenshots). I wouldn't call it the most advanced game engine yet on all points.
            Most advanced no, but on the other hand the killer feature here is the ease of use. People use Game Maker Studio or Multimedia Fusion or other proprietary engines mainly because they're simple and easy to use (e4ven though they have only very simple graphics capabilities). It's important to have something that's quick to get into for starters, after that one can move to more advanced stuff.

I sit around in the community on http://gamejolt.com/ - that's a site for amateur indie games, games made for game jams, etc. Effectively a bunch of people that have ideas, not necessarily high skills (though some of the people there are really pro at what they make) but they do stuff. Godot seems to be targeted for such people, it won't replace UE3 or 4 or Unigine or even Unity Pro, but for casual game dev it's a good alternative.

Comment

Working...
            X