Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 NICs That Work With Linux

Phoronix: Affordable USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 NICs That Work With Linux

For anyone that may be in need of some USB wired network adapters, Plugable offers a few different options that are low-cost and work well with Linux -- in fact, Linux is mentioned on the product packaging...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this require proprietary firmware? ie. would it work if you ran the Linux-libre kernel?

Comment

No firmware download to device required

No firmware download to device is required for any of the Plugable USB Ethernet adapters to function. We haven't tested the Linux-libre kernel, but wouldn't expect any problems. If anyone has any experience reports, we'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Comment

Benchmark

So how fast are they actually? Even some PCIe NICs have trouble reaching their rated spec, so it would be a natural thing to test the USB NICs to see if they can actually reliably reach 100Mbit and 1000Mbit respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by bernieplugable View Post
          No firmware download to device is required for any of the Plugable USB Ethernet adapters to function. We haven't tested the Linux-libre kernel, but wouldn't expect any problems. If anyone has any experience reports, we'd love to hear them. Thanks!
          You read my question wrong; I was asking if proprietary firmware was required in order for it to work, not external firmware.

In short… “Does it work with free/libre software?”

Comment

Some posts on performance

Originally posted by Thue View Post
            So how fast are they actually? Even some PCIe NICs have trouble reaching their rated spec, so it would be a natural thing to test the USB NICs to see if they can actually reliably reach 100Mbit and 1000Mbit respectively.
            Here are a few posts with performance data for reference (mostly on OS X):
            * http://plugable.com/2013/02/08/pluga...etwork-adapter
            * http://plugable.com/2012/03/14/usb-g...ed-on-mac-os-x

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              You read my question wrong; I was asking if proprietary firmware was required in order for it to work, not external firmware.

In short? ?Does it work with free/libre software??
              Your question was worded poorly. If the NIC doesn't require a firmware download, what would cause the NIC not to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

In short? ?Does it work with free/libre software??
                As he said: "We haven't tested the Linux-libre kernel, but wouldn't expect any problems. If anyone has any experience reports, we'd love to hear them. Thanks!"

Comment

We bought a Digitus DN-3023 at work for e.g. installing firewalls while being connected to the company LAN.
                  The linux module is provided directly from the usb-to-ethernet chip manufacturer Asix link

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
                    As he said: "We haven't tested the Linux-libre kernel, but wouldn't expect any problems. If anyone has any experience reports, we'd love to hear them. Thanks!"
                    If these devices work out of the box that's great! I may pick up one of these for use on a netbook that does not have an ethernet port or to use for a backup port if the onboard NIC ever flakes out under some future kernel

Comment

Working...
                    X