Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ On Windows Now Supports OpenGL

Phoronix: GTK+ On Windows Now Supports OpenGL

For users of the GTK+ tool-kit on Windows, OpenGL support is coming and follows in the footsteps of GTK's recent OpenGL focus and enablement on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do we have any useful Applications using GTK3 in Windows World ? I currently don't know any.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
      Do we have any useful Applications using GTK3 in Windows World ? I currently don't know any.
      Apart from Incscape and GIMP I'm not sure. It would have been nice with a smaller version of GTK+ targeted for simple applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
        Apart from Incscape and GIMP I'm not sure. It would have been nice with a smaller version of GTK+ targeted for simple applications.
        I know people who use pidgin on windows.

Once, I worked on the FreePascal bindings of GTK2 and used them for a school project, which eventually got compiled on windows for a presentation. It worked fine.

It is so much easier in many cases to create bindings for c libraries than for c++ libraries. For example, I doubt that there will be usefull Qt bindings for rust in the near time.
        Last edited by oleid; 17 December 2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

inkscape and gimp dont use gtk 3

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
            inkscape and gimp dont use gtk 3
            Neither does pidgin. But their next major versions will.

Comment

According to GTK page last supported Windows version is 3.6.4. Since they break stuff every major release its safe to say that no sane person would use GTK on Windows.
              Just imagine you have to maintain you code for both 3.14 and for 3.6! brrrrrr~

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                According to GTK page last supported Windows version is 3.6.4. Since they break stuff every major release its safe to say that no sane person would use GTK on Windows.
                The pre-compiled version is always a bit out of date, but that doesn't mean you can't compile it for yourself. Or use a distribution package for cross-compiling, e.g.:

Originally posted by magika View Post
                Just imagine you have to maintain you code for both 3.14 and for 3.6! brrrrrr~
                What broke between 3.6 and 3.14 - except maybe themes?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  For example, I doubt that there will be usefull Qt bindings for rust in the near time.
                  Ignoring the word "useful" there, I remember at least one person getting Qt to work successfully with Rust in very little time at all. He just tested it with some simple applications (an analog clock, I forgot the other one) but it didn't look all that hard.

Also, I heard there's been work in the Rust camp for making it easier to bind to any language on the Rust side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Ignoring the word "useful" there, I remember at least one person getting Qt to work successfully with Rust in very little time at all. He just tested it with some simple applications (an analog clock, I forgot the other one) but it didn't look all that hard.
                    Yeah, I read that very blog bost, too. That's why I restricted it to usefull bindings

In the end, the generated bindings were quite ugly as (to summarize the blog post for everyone who didn't read it):
                    1. Overloading doesn't work at the moment in rust (and according to the blog post, it never will, as the language designers don't want it) and thus, the function names are a bit strange: “QString::new7”, “toString2”, “arg12” etc.
                    2. Signals & Slots doesn't play very nice with rust, at the moment
                    3. Stuff can get lengthy, as rust has no default parameters

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Also, I heard there's been work in the Rust camp for making it easier to bind to any language on the Rust side of things.
                    That's very good to hear!
                    Last edited by oleid; 18 December 2014, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X