Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adreno A4xx Rendering With Freedreno Takes Shape

Phoronix: Adreno A4xx Rendering With Freedreno Takes Shape

The Freedreno Gallium3D driver's support for the Adreno A4xx hardware is taking shape and beginning to work for GL rendering on this latest-generation Qualcomm graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats very nice but what is with the Video Acceleration? Does the Driver can use the VAAPI or VDPAU State Tracker?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Thats very nice but what is with the Video Acceleration? Does the Driver can use the VAAPI or VDPAU State Tracker?
      As with most/all SoC's, the video decode/encode acceleration is external to the GPU.. and in fact there seem to be two different blocks, depending on which generation of snapdragon chip.

Linaro has started on a gst plugin for the decode support in so called "A family" devices (ie. snapdragon 600 and earlier). Not sure if anyone has started anything for the newer "B family" devices. In either case, all the android kernel and OMX userspace support is open, so it isn't so much a matter of reverse-engineering as it is of wading through layers of messy code and extracting something useful.

In theory support could be added to the gallium driver, just for the purposes of exposing video state tracker support (and that would probably simplify some things with dealing with the tiled NV12 format used by the "A family" decoder). On the other hand, someone probably needs to sort out a cleaned up kernel driver, so the userspace part could use a stable kernel API first.

I pretty much have my hands full with the GPU side of things, but of course volunteers welcome. For now, my firetv (apq8064 / snapdragon 600) has enough CPU grunt to do video decoding on the CPU for xbmc.

see:
      open source driver project for adreno GPUs. Contribute to freedreno/freedreno development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Adreno A4xx Rendering With Freedreno Takes Shape

The Freedreno Gallium3D driver's support for the Adreno A4xx hardware is taking shape and beginning to work for GL rendering on this latest-generation Qualcomm graphics hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg3MDA
        When reading this on my android I got a js warning that my phone migt be virus infected, it looks to be from one of the ad providers, I don't know which but I took a picture of the page if you want it.

Comment

As always, thanks a lot for your work Rob!

Comment

Working...
          X