Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Of The Linux 3.19 Kernel: Graphics & Disks Rule

Phoronix: Features Of The Linux 3.19 Kernel: Graphics & Disks Rule

The merge window is closed and 3.19-rc1 was released on Saturday, marking the end of new mainline Linux kernel features for 2014. Here's a rundown of the exciting new features of the Linux 3.19 kernel for what will become the first major kernel release of 2015...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't really understand why we need another kernel right now. Not even the previous one has made into any of the mainstream distros. Is Linus now following a wine-like release schedule, so we should expect a new kernel every 2 weeks?

Comment

??

Linux has been running on the same 9-10 week cycle for years.

Distros tend to pick up roughly every third release -- 3.19 will probably go into the *next* round of distro releases.
      Last edited by bridgman; 22 December 2014, 08:43 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        ??

Linux has been running on the same 9-10 week cycle for years.

Distros tend to pick up roughly every third release -- 3.19 will probably go into the *next* round of distro releases.
        That's 2 months and we're not even 2 weeks from the previous one. Subtract one for the holidays and we have new release rushed out -- with important bugs left in there from even 3.16...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          That's 2 months and we're not even 2 weeks from the previous one. Subtract one for the holidays and we have new release rushed out -- with important bugs left in there from even 3.16...
          You're forgetting the RC cycle. Expect at least 6 of those. Roughly one per week.

Comment

Ahh, I understand. 3.19rc1 is not a release, it's just the point where the merge window closes (no more new features allowed) and the weekly build/test/fix cycle starts. There will be several weeks of testing & fixing, with a new rc coming out each week. At some point (maybe early-mid Febrary) Linus will decide that the code is sufficiently good, and 3.19 will be released. There's an important distinction between stable releases (eg 3.16.1), which *are* actual releases, and release candidates (eg 3.16rc1) which are just weekly builds for testing & fixing, not actual releases.

Make sense ?
            Test signature

Comment

RTM, aka "Release To Mindless", vs RC, aka "Riot Check".

Just so I don't hurt anyone's feelings...yes, I know that's not what it actually means.
              Last edited by Nobu; 22 December 2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I don't really understand why we need another kernel right now. Not even the previous one has made into any of the mainstream distros. Is Linus now following a wine-like release schedule, so we should expect a new kernel every 2 weeks?
                I dont think you quite understand all the nuances of kernel managment. Linus needs to review and vet all the changes in the kernel to make sure there is nothing broken.
                This extends to all the linux software also. That being the case smaller more manageable releases allow troubleshooting without having a shit ton of cross conflicting broken shit all over the place that makes untangling a rats nest yarn ball seem easy.

Comment

Linux Kernel Management

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                  I dont think you quite understand all the nuances of kernel managment. Linus needs to review and vet all the changes in the kernel to make sure there is nothing broken.
                  This extends to all the linux software also. That being the case smaller more manageable releases allow troubleshooting without having a shit ton of cross conflicting broken shit all over the place that makes untangling a rats nest yarn ball seem easy.
                  This is the original agile method: Release Early, Release Often. As the man said, its a question of people and team management and communication. It makes the integration process not only viable but possible. Don't forget that the kernel affects everything in any distribution. These folks do a hell of a great job with this.

Regards,
                  Steve Dupuis
                  Ottawa, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X