Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GNOME Progress & Events That Defined 2014

Phoronix: The GNOME Progress & Events That Defined 2014

The GNOME project had a rather splendid year with significant progress made in porting GNOME's components to Wayland, adding many features to the GTK+ tool-kit, enabling OpenGL support in GTK+, and improvements to the many GNOME applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For me, the only BIG Gnome missing feature is touchpad gestures support. For everything else, Gnome is just perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
      For me, the only BIG Gnome missing feature is touchpad gestures support. For everything else, Gnome is just perfect.
      Are you looking for this http://blogs.gnome.org/carlosg/ ?

Seems to be shipped in gnome 3.14, I am also looking forward to it. Apparently fedora 21 use this new gnome version, I'll give a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by by.peroux View Post
        Are you looking for this http://blogs.gnome.org/carlosg/ ?

Seems to be shipped in gnome 3.14, I am also looking forward to it. Apparently fedora 21 use this new gnome version, I'll give a shot.
        No, not really. That's only for devices with a touchscreen.
        The same guy bloged about support for touchpads in the next version of Gnome but I haven't heard anything about it ever since.

Hope it gets materialize in the end though. I'll keep my fingers cross.

Comment

No, not really. That's only for devices with a touchscreen.
          The same guy bloged about support for touchpads in the next version of Gnome but I haven't heard anything about it ever since.

Hope it gets materialize in the end though. I'll keep my fingers cross.

Hey got a quick question. Mate 1.12 roadmap says Add support for gtk3. I dont think that means entire mate would be re-written in gtk3 ? I am not a developer but i think that would be very nice for the linux desktop. I read somewhere that core mate apps like caja would be rewritten.

It also says add support for wayland . guess that is only possible with gtk3. If anyone can comment on this that would be nice. If i get Mate re-written with gtk3 running on wayland on my intel hardware, say one year down the line, I couldnt ask for more

Also gnome3 is really shaping up ! kudos to the developers. I gave antergos' upcoming release a try (currently getting tested) .It runs gnome 3.14.2 and it runs splendidly well, super smooth. I would use that desktop to make people switch over to Linux.
          Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 29 December 2014, 05:00 AM. Reason: more comments

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
            Hey got a quick question. Mate 1.12 roadmap says Add support for gtk3. I dont think that means entire mate would be re-written in gtk3 ? I am not a developer but i think that would be very nice for the linux desktop. I read somewhere that core mate apps like caja would be rewritten.

It also says add support for wayland . guess that is only possible with gtk3. If anyone can comment on this that would be nice. If i get Mate re-written with gtk3 running on wayland on my intel hardware, say one year down the line, I couldnt ask for more
            I don't know what to say about that. The port to GTK3 was from the very beginning on MATE's to do, but that was 3-4 years ago. MATE's biggest problem is it's very limited developer base. Porting to a newer toolkit seem a very difficult task (otherwise, XFCE and GIMP would be already on GTK3). So I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on this.

I suggest you take a look at Cinnamon as an alternative. You mind end up liking it.

Comment

I don't know what to say about that. The port to GTK3 was from the very beginning on MATE's to do, but that was 3-4 years ago. MATE's biggest problem is it's very limited developer base. Porting to a newer toolkit seem a very difficult task (otherwise, XFCE and GIMP would be already on GTK3). So I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on this.
              As I understand it, they have alreday ported big part to gtk3. It is a youtubevideo somewhere with mate using gtk3.
              I think gimps problem is the gegl port and not the gtk3 port. As I understands it they want to switch both in the same time so we need to wait on gegl to get gtk3 in gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                As I understand it, they have alreday ported big part to gtk3. It is a youtubevideo somewhere with mate using gtk3.
                I think gimps problem is the gegl port and not the gtk3 port. As I understands it they want to switch both in the same time so we need to wait on gegl to get gtk3 in gimp.
                Oh, ok.
                Thanks for updating me on this.

Comment

MATE's biggest problem is it's very limited developer base. [?] I suggest you take a look at Cinnamon as an alternative.
                  Yeah, suggest switching from one desktop with a very limited developer base to another one with a very limited developer base?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    Addition to my own post. Someone has a copr repo (for fedora 21) with a gtk3 build of mate https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs...t65/Mate-GTK3/

Comment

Working...
                    X