Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MozJPEG Is Evolving Well For Better Optimized JPEGs

Phoronix: MozJPEG Is Evolving Well For Better Optimized JPEGs

While Fabrice Bellard's work on the BPG Image Format has been getting a lot of attention in recent weeks for being an image format trying to replace JPEGs with offering higher compression ratio and other features over JPEGs, its design around the encoding of HEVC/H.265 makes its blocked by patents. For at least the interim, Mozilla is committed to making JPEGs better for the web...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how does BPG compare to JP2K?

MozJPEG sounds cool though. It gives of vibes of LAME's influence on MP3, where they practically killed the superior formats by finding ways to encode to the existing one better.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      Is JP2K support even a thing? Yes, I see that most photo-mashing applications have it, but the web browers are the ones that matter, that's why BPG has a javascript that makes your site able to display the format and that is why MozJPEG is compatible with JPEG at a lib level.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

MozJPEG sounds cool though. It gives of vibes of LAME's influence on MP3, where they practically killed the superior formats by finding ways to encode to the existing one better.
        I think BPG looks significantly nicer than JP2K.
        You can compare any of the JPEG, JPEG 2000, BPG, JPEG XR, WEBP file formats on this page:

BPG seems to be able to store all the tiny details like the stars even at high compression ratios.

Mozjpeg looks really nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
          I think BPG looks significantly nicer than JP2K.
          You can compare any of the JPEG, JPEG 2000, BPG, JPEG XR, WEBP file formats on this page:

BPG seems to be able to store all the tiny details like the stars even at high compression ratios.

Mozjpeg looks really nice as well.
          I can't find MozJPEG on that site.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            I can't find MozJPEG on that site.
            It's not there, I just posted to link because it does compare JP2K.

Comment

It's not there, I just posted to link because it does compare JP2K.
              Okay. If anyone knows an easy way to compare MozJPEG to other formats/implementations, I'd love to see.

Comment

Yet nobody wants to create a true successor to gif that will eliminate all of the ambiguity surrounding webm and frankenshit like gifv

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
                  Yet nobody wants to create a true successor to gif that will eliminate all of the ambiguity surrounding webm and frankenshit like gifv
                  Nobody? Except MNG, APNG, MJPEG, WebP, and friends?

Comment

http://xooyoozoo.github.io/yolo-octo...es&jpg=t&bpg=t I have no words... It just completely and utterly blows jpeg out of the water.
                    I think BPG looks significantly nicer than JP2K. You can compare any of the JPEG, JPEG 2000, BPG, JPEG XR, WEBP file formats on this page: http://xooyoozoo.github.io/yolo-octo...es&jpg=s&bpg=s BPG seems to be able to store all the tiny details like the stars even at high compression ratios. Mozjpeg looks really nice as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X