Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NixOS 14.12 Released To End Out 2014

Phoronix: NixOS 14.12 Released To End Out 2014

Version 14.12 of NixOS, "the purely functional Linux distribution", is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NixOS with package management that installs all applications in isolation and allows for easy rollbacks is interesting but I can see this become an issue with proprietary programs using static directory paths in code or the few FOSS programs needed to be patched to remove static paths. It reminds me of GoboLinux. However, I stopped using it when I realised that it used a ton of symbolic links to to emulate compatability with traditional Linux file system structure and those links sometimes broke during system updates and caused me all sorts of headaches.

Comment

NixOS symlink issues

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      those links sometimes broke during system updates and caused me all sorts of headaches.
      Would you provide details for those symlink problems? (Via opening an issue on github, of course.)

BTW, the symlinks there aren't for "emulating compatibility". It's mainly to allow immediate changes: $PATH and similar vars can't be changed for running processes, so the contents of the directories listed there have to be changed instead.

Comment

Working...
      X