Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next-Generation PHP 7.0 Is Running Well But Will It Catch Up To HHVM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next-Generation PHP 7.0 Is Running Well But Will It Catch Up To HHVM?

Phoronix: Next-Generation PHP 7.0 Is Running Well But Will It Catch Up To HHVM?

It's been a while since I've last tried out the Git code for the next-generation PHP (phpng) that's going to be known as PHP 7.0 when released likely later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the PHP guys should focus on cleaning up the language rather than speed. I work at a company building a PHP webapplication with around 100k users. We're switching to Java with our new version not because of speed (the whole thing runs on 4 webservers), but rather because of the loose and messy structure of PHP - it leads to many unnecessary bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by MannerMan View Post
      I think the PHP guys should focus on cleaning up the language rather than speed. I work at a company building a PHP webapplication with around 100k users. We're switching to Java with our new version not because of speed (the whole thing runs on 4 webservers), but rather because of the loose and messy structure of PHP - it leads to many unnecessary bugs.
      Then the culprit isn't PHP but the developers working with it, many other sites run PHP with higher user base without noticeable bugs....

Comment

Because Java doesn't have a massive footprint and commitment. I'm betting the bulk of those 100k users logic being a separation of concerns hell with xml and java is best managed with a solid controller layer and letting say PostgreSQL 9.4 and equivalent do the bulk of the work, irregardless of java, php, ruby, python, etc.

Comment

Does HHVM need to use that much memory for performance?

Comment

Anyone switching from PHP to Java for bug or stability problems needs to overhaul their web application, not do a downgrade to Java.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
              Anyone switching from PHP to Java for bug or stability problems needs to overhaul their web application, not do a downgrade to Java.
              For real world applications (drupal/wordpress/magento), the performance by php 7 and hhvm should be close (with a chance that php 7 will beat hhvm).

This blog is from July, when much of the work was still being carried out:

In recent months I've been ultra busy working on our Z-Ray time-warping technology.  Now that it's out , I finally had a bit of free time to...

(php fols tried going the rought of a JIT first, but it wasnt giving the expected results and they realised that it was other stuff slowing them down, so they refocussed on those basic structures instead.)

(The article by Michael uses a later version of HHVM, so if they have also made major speed improvements over the past few months, that will impact the overall performance comparison).

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                Yeah. Why not develop a web application using a model-view-controller? The model part of MVC deals with database lookups and manipulation, the view is the presentation part, and the controller interacts with the model first, then the view. Have a look at the diagram in the link below:

php-html.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, php-html.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

rather because of the loose and messy structure of PHP - it leads to many unnecessary bugs.
                  bad language is a lame excuse for poor developers. yes, php sucks in many ways (for me the greatest problem is performance - I can live with other bugs/problems), but I'm able to create complicated web app with 100% or almost 100% code coverage in tests.

if you don't know how to write good tests and properly test your code you are just poor developer and java nor any other language will not help you.

Comment

Switching a company from LANG1 to LANG2 seems like total flush of it IT team as all LANG1 developers have to go and new expert LANG2 developers must come in. If all is done with the same devs and "few trainings" then nothing may help

Comment

Working...
                    X