Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Announces The Tegra X1 SoC With Maxwell Graphics

Phoronix: NVIDIA Announces The Tegra X1 SoC With Maxwell Graphics

For the better part of the year I've been using a NVIDIA Tegra K1 that sports four Cortex-A15 CPU cores and a Kepler class GPU, which yields incredible ARM performance and is all-around a great SoC. Kicking off CES week though is NVIDIA announcing the Tegra X1, which enters the 64-bit ARM world and is using a Maxwell GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The NVIDIA Tegra X1 is a big.LITTLE design that offers four high-performance Cortex-A57 CPU cores and four Cortex-A53 high-efficiency CPU cores for the lighter weight work.
    Denver kaput?

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
      Denver kaput?
      The Tegra X1 is aimed at automobiles where power consumption isn't that much of an issue and you rather use more power to get more compute power. Can't compare the two.

Comment

Well there might be two different designs as there was with k1. Never heard saying don't put all the eggs in to the same basket.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
          Denver kaput?
          I'm definitely not seeing the dividends from all that Denver research, but I do understand that using a "stock" ARM design allows them to push this out quicker. So maybe like the K1 we'll see a Denver version as well.

Some nice video capabilities with this thing too. H.265 and VP9 codec support, 4K 60Hz and 10-bit H.265 decode support. Would be nice to see an HTPC-type device built around this. It's a shame we're not seeing Steam In-Home Streaming being made available for ARM devices. This could be a nice HTPC / Android gaming / Steam Streamer combo chip.

Comment

What NVIDIA should do is buy a x86 license (from VIA ?) and make the ultimate APU.

Just my opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              What NVIDIA should do is buy a x86 license (from VIA ?) and make the ultimate APU.

Just my opinion....
              x86 license is not transferable from what I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Arrange, through clever scheming, so that it looks like VIA buys Nvidia ... win-win for consumers ...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  The Tegra X1 is aimed at automobiles where power consumption isn't that much of an issue and you rather use more power to get more compute power. Can't compare the two.
                  The problem is that it seems like overkill for the intended market. I watched a tech demo on The Verge and they didn't showcase anything Denver couldn't handle.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    NVIDIA buys VIA or VIA buys NVIDIA, or in alternative, both companies merge in a new company with each have a % of shares, problem solved.

Hell , i even propose a new name:

NVIDIA
                    Last edited by AJSB; 05 January 2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X