Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8 & Mir Are Moving Along For Ubuntu 15.04

Phoronix: Unity 8 & Mir Are Moving Along For Ubuntu 15.04

Canonical's work on the next-generation Unity 8 interface for the Ubuntu desktop powered by the Mir display server is taking shape on the desktop and complementing their mobile work well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is unity 8 still just the tablet interface in fullscreen? Have they made any desktop progress?

Comment

Originally posted by MannerMan View Post
      Have they made any desktop progress?
      Yes.

There's a window manager (video demo here), support for X.org applications through XMir, and supposedly GTK+ support.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerry View Post
        Yes.

There's a window manager (video demo here), support for X.org applications through XMir, and supposedly GTK+ support.
        Originally posted by Pepec9124
        I tried it about a week ago. It has some apps in window mode, not resizable. What annoyed me however was cursor-window movement lag. If they want be better than X then it should work better.
        Thanks for the replies! Unity 7 is getting a bit old, but it works very good nowdays. Really hope Unity 8 will be a worthy successor.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
          It has some apps in window mode, not resizable. What annoyed me however was cursor-window movement lag.
          Originally posted by MannerMan View Post
          works very good
          Wayland killer is come.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            Wayland killer is come.
            Meanwhile Gnome on Wayland is almost feature complete and 3.16 should make it 100% usuable as a desktop (except bugs and stuff to iron out ofc).

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
              It can't come fast enough! In the next years the separation of Ubuntu and the rest of linux will be complete. Then it might get a chance at mainstream.
              Your trollbait reeks. I think it's a bit old.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                Meanwhile Gnome on Wayland is almost feature complete and 3.16 should make it 100% usuable as a desktop (except bugs and stuff to iron out ofc).
                I'll certainly be interested to see that. I just tried gnome on wayland on a fedora 21 netbook, and found it not yet quite usable. When I chose the gnome on wayland session in the login manager, it took an extremely long time for it to finally put up a desktop, and when the workspace finally appeared, it didn't seem as responsive as the xorg desktop. I opened a terminal, and the color scheme was apparently grey on grey, so I couldn't read anything. I opened the terminal preferences, but whatever options were there were also invisible.

But who knows, maybe it will "just work" in Fedora 22, eh?

Comment

I believe that the war between wayland-mir is stupid, why not see them as alternatives?
                  Perhaps to hear this interview with Will Cooke Desktop Team manager http://news.softpedia.com/news/Unity...s-467414.shtml
                  Sorry for my English.

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
                    I'll certainly be interested to see that. I just tried gnome on wayland on a fedora 21 netbook, and found it not yet quite usable. When I chose the gnome on wayland session in the login manager, it took an extremely long time for it to finally put up a desktop, and when the workspace finally appeared, it didn't seem as responsive as the xorg desktop. I opened a terminal, and the color scheme was apparently grey on grey, so I couldn't read anything. I opened the terminal preferences, but whatever options were there were also invisible.

But who knows, maybe it will "just work" in Fedora 22, eh?
                    It just works on my Arch box with foss AMD drivers. Hey, even TF2 running on Xwayland gives me same framerate as under X... though mouse spins out of control, which is current major Gnome on Wayland issue - no mouse control at all and acceleration is crazy (will be fixed in 3.16). On the other hand desktop is butter smooth, like zero tearing, lags, framerate drops, 60fps smooth.

Anyway, like I've said, most features are there, all we need now are some major bug fixes.

Comment

Working...
                    X