Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA/Nouveau Tests On Linux 3.19

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA/Nouveau Tests On Linux 3.19

After last week delivering initial open-source Radeon DRM driver tests on Linux 3.19, here's similar treatment in testing out the new Linux 3.19 kernel with the Nouveau DRM driver for open-source NVIDIA graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where did the minimal/maximal FPS numbers go? I don't see them in your recent benchmarks.

Comment

i think they should start with solving the huge lock-up problems with a lot of Nvidia GPU , with my MSI Nvidia gts 250 i have to boot on "nomodeset xforcevesa" and then to install the nvidia drivers.

Comment

That's cool, but who buys a GTX 680 or a GTX 780 ti to run games on the nouveau driver?

I would be more interested in the performance of geforce GT 610 (gf119), GT 430/630/730 (gf108), GT720 and GT730 gddr5 (GK208), both on fast system such as i3, i5 etc. and modest ones like Athlon II X2, celeron, core 2 duo.

In particular, can I run Counterstrike : Source?
        CS 1.6 is a better game but it gets boring as not that many people play it anymore (half is de_dust2 24/7 or mods)
        I wonder about CS : GO too, that's a game you'd think an open source driver is not up to the task for but why not.

Comment

What about GTX850M ? Will those mobile maxwells get supported by nouveau in the same time as 900 series?

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
            That's cool, but who buys a GTX 680 or a GTX 780 ti to run games on the nouveau driver?
            If you are buying a computer today to run a completely free software operating system, and you want the best possible graphics performance, I'm assuming you would be wanting to consider the GTX 780 Ti. Radeon cards require non-free microcode to be shipped, and anything newer than GTX 768 Ti will require the signed nVidia proprietary firmware be distributed. Intel isn't an option for as long as the last/fastest blob-free free software driver for nVidia hardware outperform it... at which point Intel becomes the only option remaining (unless someone starts work on reverse-engineering and replacing the Radeon microcode).

Comment

How do you get Nouveau to work? Doesn't work on live CD of any Ubuntu 14.10 or Debian that I tried. Also, tried 15.04.

Cannot read the screen. It boots up to the OS/DE but is unreadable. I would never suggest to use Nouveau if you have a Nvidia card.

Comment

Working...
              X