Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Apps Now Running On Ubuntu Touch/Phone

Phoronix: X.Org Apps Now Running On Ubuntu Touch/Phone

Canonical now has X.Org/X11 applications running on the Ubuntu Phone/Touch via XMir...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strange, no body has commented. Nice work canonical!

Comment

Russia should really sue Canonical for the name. Mir is (used to be) a space station. Just like Microsoft had to change the name of Metro, Canonical should change the name of Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Russia should really sue Canonical for the name. Mir is (used to be) a space station. Just like Microsoft had to change the name of Metro, Canonical should change the name of Mir.

mir in russian means... society
        in croatian it means peace

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...ndows.com,_Inc

mir in russian means... society
          in croatian it means peace
          mir in russian means 'world', not 'society'. It also means 'peace' just as in croatian/serbian and possibly a slew of other slavic languages.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
            mir in russian means 'world', not 'society'. It also means 'peace' just as in croatian/serbian and possibly a slew of other slavic languages.
            I confirm. In Bulgarian mir(мир)=peace.

Comment

I guess its quite possible that it was called after the space station because Shuttleworth has been to the ISS with a Russian team. So maybe he heard about the Mir space station from the others and they decided to name their display manager that way.

And yes, in Russian: Mir = Мир = World = Peace.
              Last edited by Scrumlord; 12 January 2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Nice advancement! I hope we will soon have a open source mobile (phone/tablet) OS capable of doing real productivity tasks & capable of transforming into fully blown distro by simply plugin in. I hope HSA support will also come soon as it's really meant & suited for small battery powered devices & can save a lot of juice.

Comment

I was kinda hoping to see older applications based on Xorg NOT allowed to run on the phones. The phone apps should locked to only apps written using the Ubuntu make software suite, while the Desktop can be free to run what ever the user desires. I don't want a phone app store full of legacy software that isn't written to be "aware" that it's running on a phone. Pymol would be a disaster on a phone, for example. How would you middle click and drag?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    But Mir is just a generic name like Atlantis or Discovery. It's not a trademarked brand name like Metro is.

Comment

Working...
                    X