Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDKFD Driver Does More Prepping For Carrizo / VI APUs

Phoronix: AMDKFD Driver Does More Prepping For Carrizo / VI APUs

Earlier this month I wrote about AMD preparing open-source HSA support for Carrizo APUs that aren't launching until later this year. Today more patches were published for the AMDKFD kernel driver in preparing for the forthcoming Volcanic Islands APUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMDKFD Driver Does More Prepping For Carrizo / VI APUs

Earlier this month I wrote about AMD preparing open-source HSA support for Carrizo APUs that aren't launching until later this year. Today more patches were published for the AMDKFD kernel driver in preparing for the forthcoming Volcanic Islands APUs...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...izo-APUs-Linux

if AMD gets their Carrizo support right on Linux, I might end up buying a Carrizo Laptop. its about time they got their story right. Intel has better hardware and is now switching to 14nm fabrication process. They have the best Linux support i believe. Core-M is already out there. I wonder if the HSA model would shape up nice enough to compete with Intel's 14nm offerings and their very good linux support. I know i am going to consider these when I buy next. AMD is always attractive because of the graphics performance for the price deal.

Comment

which deal is going to turn up better for the price say sometime down the line ?

1) Intel Processors @14nm +Good Linux Support and the graphics on the downer
      or
      2) AMD HSA Carrizo + Linux Support and the graphics on the plus side

I want to buy a laptop but am waiting for DDR4, and a decent processor/graphics combo. Waiting on how AMD Carrizo turns out.
      any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
        which deal is going to turn up better for the price say sometime down the line ?

1) Intel Processors @14nm +Good Linux Support and the graphics on the downer
        or
        2) AMD HSA Carrizo + Linux Support and the graphics on the plus side

I want to buy a laptop but am waiting for DDR4, and a decent processor/graphics combo. Waiting on how AMD Carrizo turns out.
        any comments?
        In principle HSA is a better long term solution, and if you're going to do gaming and not going to go for a discrete card you will want Carrizo, otherwise you probably won't be able to see a significant difference unless you're doing particularly heavy loads like doing software development (which is to say compiling code).

Comment

Working...
        X