Fedora's FESCo Makes A Bold Move To Try To Release Fedora 22 On Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's FESCo Makes A Bold Move To Try To Release Fedora 22 On Time

Phoronix: Fedora's FESCo Makes A Bold Move To Try To Release Fedora 22 On Time

This morning I wrote about Unless Fedora 22 Is To Be Delayed, GCC 5 Might Not Make It due to needing a mass rebuild of all the Fedora packages and the time involved on the short time-line. The Fedora FESCo committee convened today and their outcome is a bit surprising...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a user I much prefer a feature-rich release that's a few weeks late. Always having the latest toolchain is one of Fedora's main selling points.

Comment

I think one release per year would be great. But...

Comment

Originally posted by marciosr View Post
        I agree.

Comment

What, Fedora not being delayed?! There's no way that can be right!

In all seriousness, though, it's fairly odd to see them planning to release it on schedule. I don't really remember when was the last time that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            In all seriousness, though, it's fairly odd to see them planning to release it on schedule. I don't really remember when was the last time that happened.
            Oh, they always *plan* to release on schedule. It's just ṫhat the schedule they end up releasing on is at least a few weeks later than the one they started planning for.

Comment

GGC5 simply wasn't a realistic goal. I'd much prefer to stick with GCC 4.9.x stable series over a brand new major version bump after the horrible GCC 4.9.0 release, too.

Comment

One release per year wouldnt really work for Fedora's style. They like to push the latest and greatest linux tech (that they reasonably can) and a year is just too long for them to be able to do that.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

i don't really care what compiler distro is built with. i only care what compiler could i use for development. for me it will be enough to make gcc5 available as package

Comment

I think one release per year would be great
                    what makes you think it would be great to wait for new compiler for 6 months more ?

Comment

Working...
                    X