Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Schedule For KDE Applications 15.04

Phoronix: Release Schedule For KDE Applications 15.04

KDE Frameworks 5.6.0 was released a few days ago and Plasma 5.2 will be out later this month. Meanwhile, the KDE Applications release is coming out in April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, is there a list anywhere of which applications have and which haven't been ported? As far as I've heard, only Kate and some games have been ported so far, but I might have missed something...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Hm, is there a list anywhere of which applications have and which haven't been ported? As far as I've heard, only Kate and some games have been ported so far, but I might have missed something...
      Kdenlive has been ported to QT5/KF5 and it seems it will be included in the 15.04 release. They decided several months ago to become officially part of KDE and have been working hard on getting this to happen. JBM reported on the mailing list that the porting to QT5/KF5 is finished and the representative from KDE seems to have given the all clear with documentation being finished to get the release into 15.04.

Comment

Most of the apps have been ported, but the port is still in separate branch due to not so good quality. Currently, as part of the 14.12.x release, konsole, kmix (hiding behind a switch), gwenview and kate (there's one or two more which I don't remember) are kde frameworks 5 based, while the rest is Qt4 based.

Kde-baseapps, the package that contains dolphin and konqueror has frameworks branch too, but it has not been fully completed yet. Dolphin seems to work fine here (using a git snapshot). kde pim suite is in a bit worse shape. PIM Libraries and Apps have been ported, but last time I checked (about a month and a half ago), I couldn't even use kmail (although it would start), as most of things I tried to do would simply crash it or not work at all. The rest of the "more frequently used" software is ported too, such as ark, ksnapshot, okular, many games and apps part of the KDE Edu, marble, dragon, etc. Also, while not part of the official KDE packages set, kile (LaTeX IDE) and k3b (CD/DVD Burning Program) have been ported to KF5. Still, thumbnailers, sane, cups and camera integration modules have not been ported as far as I know.

If you are interested in a praticular app, just find your package repository and check for a frameworks branch or something like that:

Comment

I believe by 15.04 release, the whole stack of Frameworks + Apps will once be quite usuable to the end user, or so I hope. KDE 5 is indeed looking fantastic and I'm currently typing this from it!

Comment

Oh, so it's much further along than I thought. Nice to hear Kdenlive and Kile are already on board with it. Looks like there's some Qt5 progress for Konversation as well. Too bad RKWard and Kraft still aren't there. And what about Amarok?

Comment

Oh, so it's much further along than I thought. Nice to hear Kdenlive and Kile are already on board with it. Looks like there's some Qt5 progress for Konversation as well. Too bad RKWard and Kraft still aren't there. And what about Amarok?
              I tried searching for any info but nothing available in the public and the last release was in 2013... I would gladly switch to any other software but Amarok currently has best Library and Playlist management and has minimum external dependencies, though having kdelibs4 just for the sake of Amarok becoming real issue.

Comment

I can't seem to find information to install KDE/Plasma wayland without X dependancies on ubuntu (even if the install is very unstable). I would like to test kde/plasma and possibly wayland based remote dekstop (not sure what my options are except for RDP/RealVNC). The whole machine is only used for testing so I don't mind if things break. My testing machine is stuck on Ubuntu 14.04.

I did some searching and found the following http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...l.plasma/36740 it at least gives me an idea of what he plans are. This is the "best" tutorial I have found so far https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland I think I should get it working using that information, but just in case someone knows of an quicker way.

Comment

Working...
                X