Fedora Workstation 22 To Have Better Wayland Support, Better Battery Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 22 To Have Better Wayland Support, Better Battery Life

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 22 To Have Better Wayland Support, Better Battery Life

Fedora 21 was just released last month but already there's a lot to get excited about for Fedora 22 when it's released around the middle of May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland on F21 is more stable than I expected, and quite a few Gnome applications now run natively with Wayland rather than XWayland, so this next set of changes and improvements is going to be exciting to see.

Comment

Are they aiming to make Wayland default for F22?

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
        I doubt it, but if anything's an indication F23 has all the chances. Depending on how stable F22 will be (i.e. # of bug reports for wayland-related apps.) As it stands, I still stand by my prediction that we'll see wayland by default early 2016. I'll be happy to be proven otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
          Looks like they are only aiming to make the login session default for F22 but its progress.

We are also looking at getting the login session to use Wayland by default.
          This also sounds interesting.

The Wayland SDL backend has been around for quite a bit, but Jonas ?dahl plans on spending some time smoothing out the last rough edges, in fact for SDL applications we hope we can actually provide noticeable performance improvement over X in some cases (not because OpenGL will be faster of course, but because we might be able to be smarter about handling different resolutions between desktop and game), but we have to wait and see if that pans out or if we have to settle for performance parity with X.

Comment

Better? How? Works flawlessly here and the only bug I noticed is connected to libinput

Still, if there is some way to make it better, disregard my lack of imagination and bring it on, lol

Comment

Any word on moving the Plasma 5 and Applications 14.12 packages into the main repository?

Comment

Originally posted by reub2000 View Post
                Any word on moving the Plasma 5 and Applications 14.12 packages into the main repository?
                Plasma5 will make it into F22. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Plasma_5

Comment

This will have Consequences. I read KDE4 and Plasma5 aren't parallel-installable

Comment

Pretty weird how Kubuntu will release with Plasma 5 before Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                    X