Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 To Be A Free Upgrade: What Linux Users Need To Know

Phoronix: Windows 10 To Be A Free Upgrade, Has Project Spartan & DX12

I watched Microsoft's Windows 10 press event today not for looking toward switching and using the Windows 8 successor but rather to see what's coming down their consumer pipeline for competition to Linux and Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! After spending thousands of dollars over the years, I never imagined that MS would ever allow free upgrades. In the past all upgrade editions cost 50 bucks less than retail editions. For me that's the biggest news.

EDIT: Windows Vista and Windows 8 must have scared them
    Last edited by duby229; 21 January 2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Up to 50% increase in performance in games*
      *Never in a million years going to happen, we removed 50% of the overhead or someshit and decided to PR the shit out of it.

Comment

EDIT: Doesn't it seem like MS's turn around time is getting a lot faster? They are flipping through releases much quicker than ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Doesn't it seem like MS's turn around time is getting a lot faster?
          no, it doesn't

Comment

EDIT: Doesn't it seem like MS's turn around time is getting a lot faster? They are flipping through releases much quicker than ever before.
            Thats easy to do when there is so little changed in each release.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
              *Never in a million years going to happen, we removed 50% of the overhead or someshit and decided to PR the shit out of it.
              Up to 50% can be 1%, 0%, 3% or 50%, anything.

Comment

Wow! After spending thousands of dollars over the years, I never imagined that MS would ever allow free upgrades. In the past all upgrade editions cost 50 bucks less than retail editions. For me that's the biggest news.

EDIT: Windows Vista and Windows 8 must have scared them
                I think it probably goes like this
                1) Supporting operating systems is really expensive. Getting everyone to Windows 10 saves huge amounts of money in maintenance
                2) Windows 7 is still reasonably popular and it doesn't have a store for Microsoft to sell software through
                3) While Windows 8 and 8.1 do have a store, it is limited in what kind of apps it supports
                4) Windows 8.1 machines will still probably be sold months after Windows 10 is released
                5) No one uses Vista so it can be ignored

Comment

No not on Windows, their turnaround time is the same as it's always been, if you ignore the long dry spell that was XP, Microsoft releases a new windows about every 3 years. Now Visual Studio has sped up, and they're trying to speed up Office releases through Office 365, but not Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Up to 50% can be 1%, 0%, 3% or 50%, anything.
                    heck, up to 50% also includes -50%, a la vista.

Comment

Working...
                    X