Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager Now Supports WiFi Power Savings

Phoronix: NetworkManager Now Supports WiFi Power Savings

The latest feature added to NetworkManager is support for WiFi power-savings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"With devices that support WiFi powersave for WiFi adapters that support a power saving mode"

So about that beer

Comment

Meh, I still prefer to bring up my wireless interface and manage its power settings manually with
      Code:
      iw dev <interface> set power_save on / off
      I have never had good experiences with NetworkManager; in fact, i try hard to avoid using it in most cases except when connecting to hidden SSIDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Meh, I still prefer to bring up my wireless interface and manage its power settings manually with
        Code:
        iw dev <interface> set power_save on / off
        I have never had good experiences with NetworkManager; in fact, i try hard to avoid using it in most cases except when connecting to hidden SSIDs.
        Really? I have actually found that NetworkManager has become incredibly solid. Back in the old days when it was brand new, it was pretty flaky, but its been quite a while since I actually had a problem with it.

I mean, aside from it coming up default on server installs... which is bogus. You don't need or want networkmanager messing with the interfaces on your servers.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Really? I have actually found that NetworkManager has become incredibly solid. Back in the old days when it was brand new, it was pretty flaky, but its been quite a while since I actually had a problem with it.

I mean, aside from it coming up default on server installs... which is bogus. You don't need or want networkmanager messing with the interfaces on your servers.
          yea network manager is almost useable lately. almost. there's still some bugs here and there, specially with things like the openvpn plugin. but they did improve a lot.

Comment

Yeah I?ve always had problems with networkmanager. It works as long as your wifi is perfectly stable, but will otherwise ask for your wpa key even if it is already saved on disk, or the icon will disappear for no obvious reason, or sometimes it will refuse to connect until you reboot your computer? (tested in Xubuntu 12.04, 14.04, and a couple other distros like Manjaro recently).

Edit: on the topic on power saving, it?s a good thing they leave the option to disable them, because indeed it can make some wireless devices have a very unstable connection (I had one such device, but the driver has since been fixed and it?s now working even with power management).
            Last edited by stqn; 22 January 2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
              yea network manager is almost useable lately. almost. there's still some bugs here and there, specially with things like the openvpn plugin. but they did improve a lot.
              I'm wondering, what issues did you encounter? What's wrong with the openvpn plugin?
              We can probably fix it if you tell us.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X