Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD 10.1.1 To Bring New System Updater, Qt5 Utilities

Phoronix: PC-BSD 10.1.1 To Bring New System Updater, Qt5 Utilities

The PC-BSD crew that base their desktop-focused BSD operating system off of FreeBSD put out their 10.1.1. release candidate this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Things are definitely coming along in that camp and I like the direction they're going. They look to be making a very compelling offering in the future by say FreeBSD 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      GNOME 3.14 works fine on BSDs. I think that concludes on the recent mono culture accusations against GNOME and systemd.
      No, it doesnt work. I have problems with unlock screen. It doesnt have bluetooth and network support, you cantora change time clock and you dont have printer manager, and pulseaudio on ISS sucks.

Comment

I just can't bring myself to move over to PC-BSD or its parent FreeBSD. Virtually all the hardware I currently own is not supported in FreeBSD, and will probably never be for at least another 2 -3 years given how understaffed their are. One of my devices is at least 4 years old and to date is still incompatible with FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          I just can't bring myself to move over to PC-BSD or its parent FreeBSD. Virtually all the hardware I currently own is not supported in FreeBSD, and will probably never be for at least another 2 -3 years given how understaffed their are. One of my devices is at least 4 years old and to date is still incompatible with FreeBSD.
          That's my problem too, while in principle PC-BSD is very interesting to me, both of my platforms use Radeons and I'm not interested in buying an Nvidia GPU for my desktop just to run FreeBSD. The other thing is that PC-BSD and FreeBSD are going under some pretty heavy churn right now (particularly as regards package management) and I expect it to be about that long until things smooth out as well, on top of that quite frankly PC-BSD could use some more polish. The direction they're going is wonderful though and is the first distribution of any FOSS platform that I'd be comfortable handing off to an OEM, once they get their hardware support properly in order and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            ... The other thing is that PC-BSD and FreeBSD are going under some pretty heavy churn right now (particularly as regards package management) and I expect it to be about that long until things smooth out as well, on top of that quite frankly PC-BSD could use some more polish.
            Having used PC-BSD since 9.0, they have improved system and its rough edges quite impressively. Of course it still needs some more polish, but difference between 9.0 and 10.1 are quite big. And yes package updates tend to give you some nasty surprises, even on normal quarterly cycle. Being in "edge" cycle would be quite "interesting" in that old chinese curse sense. I usually nowadays wait for some days after update has been published and look from forums if there are any major problems before updating.

Comment

Working...
            X