My Initial Intel Broadwell Linux Experience With The ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Initial Intel Broadwell Linux Experience With The ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Phoronix: My Initial Intel Broadwell Linux Experience With The ThinkPad X1 Carbon

On Thursday my Broadwell-powered Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop/ultrabook finally arrived for some Linux testing of Intel's exciting Haswell successor. While many tests are forthcoming of this third-generation X1 Carbon -- including Broadwell Windows vs. Linux benchmarks -- here's my initial experiences over the first ~10 minutes with this new hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wellcome to the ThinkPad club, Michael. As an owner of T430s couldn't be happy.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the secureboot is handled by the schim bootloader and that the kernels are not signed at all.

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      Wellcome to the ThinkPad club, Michael. As an owner of T430s couldn't be happy.
      Just got a ThinkPad T540p when i started my new job My only complaint so fare is the keyboard, theres a few key bositions that i do not agree with and some keys are not always responding, especial 5 on the numpad.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        I'm pretty sure that the secureboot is handled by the schim bootloader and that the kernels are not signed at all.

Just got a ThinkPad T540p when i started my new job My only complaint so fare is the keyboard, theres a few key bositions that i do not agree with and some keys are not always responding, especial 5 on the numpad.
        Don't have numpad. Keyboard quality/positioning is the most valuable thing to me

Comment

Would be very interesting to see vainfo with latest libva/i965-va-driver (why is that universe in Ubuntu?!). Also in case you have got HEVC output, install lastest gstreamer-vaapi and try to decode some 4k hevc files. 8 bit, 10 bit ts (from 4k test channels on satellite for example). I would like to see vdpauinfo from GTX 960/970/980 as well (vdpau 0.9+).

Comment

Microphone and camera work well?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Would be very interesting to see vainfo with latest libva/i965-va-driver (why is that universe in Ubuntu?!). Also in case you have got HEVC output, install lastest gstreamer-vaapi and try to decode some 4k hevc files. 8 bit, 10 bit ts (from 4k test channels on satellite for example).
              How is that worth anything when screen is FullHD and not 10bit? And AFAIK 4K support is only up to 24Hz

And i think VP8, VP9 and HEVC are supported in Windows only in software not in hardware, but well who knows (based on reading some sites) .

Comment

Please check for issues and test the Linux compatibility for everything, I already have the X1 Carbon in my cart
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  How is that worth anything when screen is FullHD and not 10bit? And AFAIK 4K support is only up to 24Hz
                  It has nothing to do with the screen depth
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yeah, trying to find hard some info about HEVC decode on these intel chips:

It does not have it ... what is that hybrid decoding, i guess something done with shaders.

Oh why hardware companies advertise software solutions , world getting mad really

Comment

Working...
                    X