Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.2 Officially Released

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.2 Officially Released

The KDE community officially released Plasma 5.2 this morning as the quarterly update to KDE's desktop shell powered by Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems Baloo & kfilemetadata have been "promoted" to frameworks

The strange numbering of fw vs plasma vs apps is already starting to show

Comment

Does this latest version run on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        It seems Baloo & kfilemetadata have been "promoted" to frameworks

The strange numbering of fw vs plasma vs apps is already starting to show
        How is it strange? Frameworks is a developer thing you shouldn't care about as an end user. Plasma is the desktop, and the only mental dissonance is how apps are a collection of KDE4 and 5 applications with varying release dates just being bundled together on fixed releases.

Comment

Wayland?

Is kwin able to run on wayland yet?

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
            Is kwin able to run on wayland yet?
            The safe answer is: No wayland.

I do note that on arch, kwin now depends on kwayland. However, it is quite understood that the kwin-wayland setup is not ready for use.

You will see something on M.s blog when it is running: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/

Comment

Great, a nice looking desktop without any applications ported to it. Awesome, great work as usual!

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                Great, a nice looking desktop without any applications ported to it. Awesome, great work as usual!
                Some are, some aren't. It can still run the QT4 applications seemlessly (with the same theme even) - what is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                  Plasma 5 should be back to parity with the KDE 4.x series around Plasma 5.4 at which point most of the applications should have also already been ported.

5.2 from my testing puts things where it's reasonable for an early adopter to consume it, but said early adopter needs to understand that it's not at feature parity yet.

Comment

KScreen is a welcomed addition.
                    I didn't have time to try out the new BlueDevil, but I used the old one this morning -- I bet they changed the icons :P
                    Undo was already here, but buggy.
                    I am not convinced yet by the new Firefox icon, but why not ?
                    About SDDM kcm module : This one has been long awaited ! But my current plasma session has crashed due to a problem with an old kde4 plasmoid, I can't try it out now. Well, that's one more reason to reboot X.

I hope this new version will bring more stability, I had quite a few crashes until now.

Comment

Working...
                    X