Ubuntu vs. Fedora Linux On Lenovo's X1 Carbon With Core i7 Broadwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu vs. Fedora Linux On Lenovo's X1 Carbon With Core i7 Broadwell

Phoronix: Ubuntu vs. Fedora Linux On Lenovo's X1 Carbon With Core i7 Broadwell

With yesterday having delivered some Ubuntu 14.10 vs. 15.04 benchmarks on the third-generation Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, today we're turning the tables to see how Ubuntu on this Core i7 Broadwell ultrabook compares to Fedora 21.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You tested with mesa 10.4.1 but Fedora already got 10.4.2 as an update yesterday. They are crazy fast with updates for F21

Comment

I'd love to see some battery tests. Perhaps using gnome battery benchmark?

Comment

Michael your information is outdated. Mesa 10.4.2 *is* the default in Ubuntu 15.04 since Wednesday. We are still in the middle of the development cycle so I think there is no reason to consider this too late.

Comment

Originally posted by kruger View Post
          You tested with mesa 10.4.1 but Fedora already got 10.4.2 as an update yesterday. They are crazy fast with updates for F21
          It's not as if there was any reason to be slow on updates if there are eager testers. With many packages they spend barely any time at all in staging as people pull latest version straight from build system and report whether it works

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            It's not as if there was any reason to be slow on updates if there are eager testers. With many packages they spend barely any time at all in staging as people pull latest version straight from build system and report whether it works
            Blame the bodhi system.
            It's not great, but it's what we have.

Comment

Im actually having some difficult installing Ubuntu 14.10 on mine correctly.

I first experienced numerous graphical glitches but that was solved with updating mesa with the X edgers ppa.

However I am now receiving numerous kernel page faults whenever I use the system which is obviously not a good sign.

Aside from that I also cannot get VirtualBox to work (virtualization technology has been enabled), which is odd as I have never had this issue before with other laptops. I am not sure if the thinkpad carbon X1 is to blame here but it seems to be the only logical conclusion I can draw so far.

What has your experience with Ubuntu 14.10 been like, are you getting any issues similar to what I am describing? I am having to resort to a replacement macbook air in the meanwhile which is rather annoying.

Comment

Physical Buttons not correctly mapping...

Michael - were you able to resolve the "trackpoint button clicks being wonky" issue in F21?

I just loaded F21 on my new x1c, and it's frustrating not being able to use those physical buttons correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by tf22 View Post
                  Michael - were you able to resolve the "trackpoint button clicks being wonky" issue in F21?

I just loaded F21 on my new x1c, and it's frustrating not being able to use those physical buttons correctly!
                  The libinput guys are working on this. You might find some info here http://who-t.blogspot.com/2015/01/le...hpad-woes.html

Comment

How about the fingerprint reader? Does it works?

Comment

Working...
                    X