Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does VirtualBox VM Have Much A Future Left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does VirtualBox VM Have Much A Future Left?

Phoronix: Does VirtualBox VM Have Much A Future Left?

It's been a long time since last hearing of any major innovations or improvements to VirtualBox, the VM software managed by Oracle since their acquisition of Sun Microsystems. Is there any hope left for a revitalized VirtualBox?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fuck Oracle.

But considering that libvirt based solutions don't work for me (something about permissions), VirtualBox is still my #1 choice.

Comment

I use VirtualBox 4.3 often, because it is a good software to install and run an OS in a virtual machine easily. The CLI is powerful, but I prefer to use the GUI.

There is not new exciting features since a long time. When creating a new VM, it would be great if we can add manage/add OS type (for instance, you can not set LinuxMint as a type, you must to choose Ubuntu or other for this distro).

Comment

KVM+libvirt > virtualbox. The only thing that libvirt/virt-manager lacks is good support for VM-in-window. Even with using spice its somewhat slowish. Thats where vbox/vmware has superior support. Other than that... KVM+libvirt wins.

Comment

Virtualbox is very good stuff but I wait for 3D acceleration since ever.

Comment

VirtualBox works perfectly for all of my needs. I have tried other solutions, but they were laggy and/or buggy.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Fuck Oracle.

Comment

I always liked Virtualbox because it was the quickest to get up and running and it is the easiest to configure, even on a CLI level. Meanwhile, Xen or QEMU are almost overwhelmingly detailed and there isn't a straight-forward way to set them up. VMware is ok but in my experience, the free versions are somewhat limiting, have permission problems, and it breaks easily.

On Linux, Virtualbox is good if you just want a quick way to test systems. Xen and VMware are good when you have a dedicated purpose or a server.

Comment

Virtualbox has gotten sorta buggy since Oracle took over. I think it's just bitrot, they haven't done much with it.

Not a big fan of Oracle. They have a long history of buying competitors for the sole purpose of killing them off. The SEC should have stepped in a bunch of times.

Comment

Most of the Vbox software IS opensource, so anyone could takeover the development and advance VBox.

[overwhelming sound of crickets]

Comment

I'm using Virtualbox. I works and is simple. Nothing else seems to fit under both of those labels.

Comment

Working...
                    X