Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10, PS4, C4 & Systemd News Kicked Off 2015

Phoronix: Windows 10, PS4, C4 & Systemd News Kicked Off 2015

As usual, here's a look at the most exciting content on Phoronix over the past month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My favorite topics are: KDE, QT, systemd, gcc, clang/llvm, Linux kernel, Firefox, Chrome, rust.

Comment

And Wayland/Weston of course!

Comment

What's the status of benchmarking windows versions of OSS games using wine on pts? I'd like to see benchmarks of native OSS games compared to wine configured using nine and wine configured using it's internal dx implementation.

I know it would require some manual configuration and so it won't be fully automated as such, but it would be a very cool article to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          My favorite topics are: KDE, QT, systemd, gcc, clang/llvm, Linux kernel, Firefox, Chrome, rust.
          Your favorite topic is QuickTime?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            Your favorite topic is QuickTime?
            And again it is -you- that mentioned quicktime. Acronyms are always capital. It doesn't matter what dumbass project maintainers think they should be. Every child learning english always learns to capitalize them.

What's your obsession with it?
            Last edited by duby229; 01 February 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

This may be a stupid question but is Windows 10 free the first year or is it that the offer for a free upgrade only lasts a year?

Also since we just had a libinput article: will libinput ever handle multitouch the way MacOSX can? I find gestures like pinch to zoom/zoom out and rotation very useful. Is there a way to have that sort of multitouch with the tools that are currently out?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                And again it is -you- that mentioned quicktime. Acronyms are always capital. It doesn't matter what dumbass project maintainers think they should be. Every child learning english always learns to capitalize them.

What's your obsession with it?
                As much as I think he's being stupid... Qt is a name not an acronym

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28software%29
                Haavard Nord and Eirik Chambe-Eng (the original developers of Qt and the CEO and President, respectively, of Trolltech) began development of "Qt" in 1991, three years before the company was incorporated as Quasar Technologies, then changed the name to Troll Tech and then to Trolltech.[1]

The toolkit was called Qt because the letter Q looked appealing in Haavard's Emacs typeface, and "t" was inspired by Xt, the X toolkit.[1]

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                  This may be a stupid question but is Windows 10 free the first year or is it that the offer for a free upgrade only lasts a year?
                  If you have Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you do so within the first year of it's release, what happens after that has not yet been announced.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    As much as I think he's being stupid... Qt is a name not an acronym

From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28software%29
                    Maybe, but it seems clear to me that it's an acrynym for "Q toolkit". Therefore, "X toolkit" is too.

Comment

Working...
                    X