A Five Year Old NVIDIA GPU Can Still Beat Broadwell HD Graphics 5500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Five Year Old NVIDIA GPU Can Still Beat Broadwell HD Graphics 5500

Phoronix: A Five Year Old NVIDIA GPU Can Still Beat Broadwell HD Graphics 5500

I'm still benchmarking many laptops around here with the current build of Ubuntu 15.04 as part of my large forthcoming laptop comparison pitted against the new Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Intel Broadwell processor. For another perspective on the Broadwell HD Graphics 5500 OpenGL performance, here's a laptop comparison against an old ThinkPad with discrete NVIDIA graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Quadro FX 880M is basically just a GT 330M/240M so not really a fast chip.

And the 240M was presented June 2009 so it's beating a 5.5 year old lower midrange chip at higher settings

And the TDP of the Quadro is not 45W
    The TDP of the 240M and 330M was 23W

And NVidia lists a maximum power consumption of 35W in their specs
    Last edited by ObiWan; 03 February 2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I am guessing the higher settings are essentially using more modern features that are not directly supported on older hardware. That is how it usually goes, and old top end GPU can beat a new low end GPU on all low to medium settings, but loses on high and ultra settings where it doesn't have native support for the new features.

Comment

GT216 is no high end chip, was first used in GT 220 series.

Comment

How about a four year old AMD Radeon HD 6670 driven by mesa etc? This is what I've played stuff like Borderlands 2 on at a measly ~24fps (1280?1024 and optimised settings) and I'd like to know how the Intel HD 5500 compares to that. Essentially, if this laptop with an i5-5200U and 4GB DDR3 may handle BL2 as "well" (ideally much better, obviously) than my elderly AMD Athlon64 3700+ with 2GB DDR and AMD Radeon HD 6670, then I'll probably buy one. Else I'll wait for their Broadwell systems with discrete GPU.

Comment

Interesting to note that it's also mesa driver vs NVIDIA (FU!) blob. I wonder if for an old chip with high settings, nouveau would be quite performant as well. That is, if it was possible to switch it to max power mode..

Comment

Correct comparison should be to use chips with exact same bandwidth, then you can say how much chip/driver is faster or slower.

Too bad OpenArena 0.8.8 wasn't tested to show real bandwidth at first

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Correct comparison should be to use chips with exact same bandwidth, then you can say how much chip/driver is faster or slower.
                If only I had more laptops or an unlimited budget....
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@Michael

Why was 304.125 used and not 340.76 for the Nvidia FX 880M?

Comment

Intel Onboard graphic are a Joke, even if We stop our development, it will toke 10 years to Intel catch us. Nvidia.

There are so many noobs thinking that his onboard cards can run the latest games, Is so funny.

Comment

Working...
                    X