Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libinput Looks To Dominate On Both X11 & Wayland

Phoronix: Libinput Looks To Dominate On Both X11 & Wayland

While libinput is most frequently talked about in the context of an input library handling the needs of Wayland compositors (and potentially Mir), it's set to also take on the roles of an input driver for the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Question I already know the answer to:
    If we were to merge xf86-input-libinput into xorg, and it reached feature parity with the other input stacks, could we remove the other input stacks completely?

My mind is telling me no... (but my body... my bodyyy is telling me ye-heees)

Comment

Comical effect only. This is not my opinion.

OH MY GOOOOD I WANT EVERYTHING SEPARATE!!!!
      I DONT WANT TO INSTALL AN INPUT DRIVER AT THE SAME TIME AS XSERVER!!
      /WINE/TANTRUM/FIT
      THE MACRO I MADE FOR MY GAMEPAD IS USELESSSSS!!!
      THIS IS THE STUPIDEST ANTI COMPETITIVE IDEA IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE!!!
      I WANT EVERYONE TO GO THROUGH THE SAME HASSLE I DID!!!

Ok I feel better now. Looking forward to integrated input drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        If we were to merge xf86-input-libinput into xorg, and it reached feature parity with the other input stacks, could we remove the other input stacks completely?

My mind is telling me no... (but my body... my bodyyy is telling me ye-heees)
        Go for it! Proof of concept on that one sounds cool

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
          Comical effect only. This is not my opinion.

OH MY GOOOOD I WANT EVERYTHING SEPARATE!!!!
          I DONT WANT TO INSTALL AN INPUT DRIVER AT THE SAME TIME AS XSERVER!!
          /WINE/TANTRUM/FIT
          THE MACRO I MADE FOR MY GAMEPAD IS USELESSSSS!!!
          THIS IS THE STUPIDEST ANTI COMPETITIVE IDEA IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE!!!
          I WANT EVERYONE TO GO THROUGH THE SAME HASSLE I DID!!!

Ok I feel better now. Looking forward to integrated input drivers.
          Also something something SystemD!!!1one

Comment

Awesome

More code shared between X and Wayland, less code to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              I suspect that would be a platform issue... it might be possible to throw away all the others if you're only interested in X11 on Linux - maybe not for other OS.

Comment

Funny thought - if X11 is so ancient and useless - why does Fedora 21's Gnome 3 on my laptop look so much sharper and appealing than Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Funny thought - if X11 is so ancient and useless - why does Fedora 21's Gnome 3 on my laptop look so much sharper and appealing than Win 7 or Win 8.1?
                  Because it has a prettier artwork and theme?

X is just the display server, it is the underlying technology.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Because it has a prettier artwork and theme?

X is just the display server, it is the underlying technology.
                    No, nothing special about the Gnome 3 cloud background on F21 or the dark menu theme. It's a crisper and more responsive GUI interaction. Nearly all simple desktop tasks are more responsive than their Windows counterparts. No lag. Colors are more crisp than on a Windows system or a Macbook.

Comment

Working...
                    X