Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.36 Adds Speaker Configuration To Winecfg

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.36 Adds Speaker Configuration To Winecfg

Wine 1.7.36 has been released and it brings a few new features while correcting 44 outstanding bugs over the past two weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Speakers options stay interesting in this wine version

Maybe more later upload more results

Comment

FWIW, I'm still maintaining my mesa-git and wine-staging Fedora 21 Copr repos. I updated Wine to Wine 1.7.36 earlier.

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      FWIW, I created mesa git and Wine+Wine Staging(includes CSMT pacthes) Copr Fedora 21 repos last week if anyone wants to try them:

Their SPEC/SRPM files were taken and modified from Fedora Rawhide. I'm not sure how long I'll maintain them, so you may be better off taking the SRPMs and creating your own Copr/OBS.
      Everything is done by hand since Copr isn't very automation friendly with uploads and I have yet to create helper scripts, so don't expect more than one or two builds a week.
      I plan on looking into adding a libclc snapshot, possibly adding LLVM 3.6 and enabling rawhide builds if they build on the mesa repo.

Comment

I can see why they added this option. The last wine build I tried defaulted to 5.1 on my stereo speakers and speech could barely be heard through the speakers, even though game music played fine. It was probably due to the missing center speaker. Now I guess it will be possible to configure it properly.

Comment

Yeah, me too. It's been like that for 2 releases actually.
          Last edited by jagoly; 07 February 2015, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Now if only we could get a Windows/Wine-style joystick control panel for the native Linux desktop.

I had to order a USB hub with per-port power switches from Hong Kong to stop games from ignoring my actual joysticks in favour of mis-detecting my 3DConnexion Space Navigator (which exposes a dud joystick endpoint via evdev) as joystick 0.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              Now if only we could get a Windows/Wine-style joystick control panel for the native Linux desktop.

I had to order a USB hub with per-port power switches from Hong Kong to stop games from ignoring my actual joysticks in favour of mis-detecting my 3DConnexion Space Navigator (which exposes a dud joystick endpoint via evdev) as joystick 0.
              you can simply disable devices in control panel if you don't want them to show as available. but, majority of the problem is that wine only handles DInput and even there it is far from perfect. using it with xbox360ce gives you windows like control panel and working XInput with additional ability of selection and reordering how they should show
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 07 February 2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Kind of sad how at this point, surround sound support is better through wine than it is native. Linux's surround support (for anything outside of media files) is trash, even through pulseaudio. There are games that have no surround support for linux due to how messy it is. To me, audio is linux's greatest weakness in desktop PCs. It's good enough for the average user but if you want to do anything more than stereo audio with a microphone, things get complicated. At the very least, it'd be nice if there was a graphical tool for .asoundrc files. I'd gladly make one myself but I have the hardest time setting up those files correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                  you can simply disable devices in control panel if you don't want them to show as available. but, majority of the problem is that wine only handles DInput and even there it is far from perfect. using it with xbox360ce gives you windows like control panel and working XInput with additional ability of selection and reordering how they should show
                  I said for native Linux applications. My point is that, at present, I often have a better experience running Windows games inside Wine on Linux than their native Linux versions because certain functionality (like controlling which device the game sees as Joystick 0) is only provided by Wine, not Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X