Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluxbox 1.3.7 Released With Few Changes

Phoronix: Fluxbox 1.3.7 Released With Few Changes

Fluxbox 1.3.6 was released last month after this lightweight window manager went two years without a new release. It looks like the rate of development of Fluxbox is ticking back up as Fluxbox 1.3.7 was just tagged this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland

I used to run Fluxbox back in the days.
    It was very fast and very light.

But Fluxbox is going obsolete now when distributions are moving to replace X with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I used to run Fluxbox back in the days.
      It was very fast and very light.

But Fluxbox is going obsolete now when distributions are moving to replace X with Wayland.
      First i used fluxbox in combination with ROX file manager and was quite happy with it.
      Then i discovered awesome wm. I modded it - it was ... awesome! But sadly my huge lua configuration was too slow at some point. Then awesome wm lost the suppert for xinerama at least for a while.

Now i am using KDE, tried Gnome, tried Xfce - i was never that unhappy why my desktop like in these days.
      I am thinking about modding KDE but it's so big and hard to modify. I just do not have the time for this
      At least i use fluxbox as fallback these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        First i used fluxbox in combination with ROX file manager and was quite happy with it.
        Then i discovered awesome wm. I modded it - it was ... awesome! But sadly my huge lua configuration was too slow at some point. Then awesome wm lost the suppert for xinerama at least for a while.

Now i am using KDE, tried Gnome, tried Xfce - i was never that unhappy why my desktop like in these days.
        I am thinking about modding KDE but it's so big and hard to modify. I just do not have the time for this
        At least i use fluxbox as fallback these days.
        I am using gnome-session-flashback (which resembles the classic GNOME 2 look) atm.

But it seems it is not being ported to Wayland, so in the future I won't be able to use that any longer. So in the future I might use GNOME 3 or GNOME 3 with classic extensions to make it look-and-feel more like the classic GNOME 2.

I used to hate GNOME 3. Early GNOME 3 used to suck, but now with 3.14 its actually gotten pretty good.

KDE always and still feels to suffer from feature creep. Too many buttons, switches, menus, toggles, everywhere. Also the theme lacks contrasts and separation of compartments. Looks very confusing to use.

Comment

I know Wayland compatibility is the ultimate acid test of usefulness to you, but X isn't going away overnight and Fluxbox should still be usable for years to come.

Comment

I am using gnome-session-flashback (which resembles the classic GNOME 2 look) atm.

But it seems it is not being ported to Wayland, so in the future I won't be able to use that any longer. So in the future I might use GNOME 3 or GNOME 3 with classic extensions to make it look-and-feel more like the classic GNOME 2.
            You may want to try gnome-classic-session. It provides GNOME 2-like workflow using GNOME 3 components (so it will work on Wayland too).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              I know Wayland compatibility is the ultimate acid test of usefulness to you, but X isn't going away overnight and Fluxbox should still be usable for years to come.
              You're right, X isn't going away overnight.
              X will still be there on Wayland for backwards compatibility via Xwayland.
              So old X11 applications will still run on Wayland via Xwalyand.
              However X11 window managers will not.

Originally posted by PiotrDrag View Post
              You may want to try gnome-classic-session. It provides GNOME 2-like workflow using GNOME 3 components (so it will work on Wayland too).
              No such package in Ubuntu repository.
              Though, I think that is provided by the package gnome-shell-extensions.
              Else the extensions can be gotten from http://extensions.gnome.org/
              I tried it, and it is pretty good and it might very well end up being what I will use.
              There is a bug though if you put a fullscreen video on Firefox, then you cant escape from it.

Comment

Bugs?

I cannot admit any bugs in Fuxbox (Arch). Simple, functional, quick response... Very good WM with Tint2 panel as a better alternative to native one.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Debian will be sticking with X for the foreseeable future AFAICS.

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
                  I cannot admit any bugs in Fuxbox (Arch). Simple, functional, quick response... Very good WM with Tint2 panel as a better alternative to native one.
                  Yes you can disable the Fluxbox panel and use Tint2, so hopefully this new version fixes some niggling bugs with that

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Then i discovered awesome wm. I modded it - it was ... awesome!
                    <snip>
                    hey! that's what I did. yellowdog linux and my powerpc mac notebooks, and do you mean window maker or wm2? I don't remember either having scripting, I think that was fluxbox and openbox(blackbox?).

I got tired of fluxbox breaking itself after every update(I think that I ended up building it from source packages all of the time) and moved onto something else which I forget(probably really just tried a buncha different ones), then IIRC eventually early xfce. I didn't like the aesthetics/configuration as much, but it wasn't continuously breaking things and was still lightweight.

...and rox file manager, well back in those days it was the best of a horrible lot. To this day I don't use GUI file managers much at all in linux, probably because of that.

man xfce has bloated up over the years.

Comment

Working...
                    X