Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Continues Moving Along With C++11 Adoption

Phoronix: LibreOffice Continues Moving Along With C++11 Adoption

With the recent release of LibreOffice 4.4 there was a significant bump in compiler requirements in order to begin allowing LibreOffice developers to use basic C++11 functionality. Going forward, the compiler requirements will continue to rise as the developers of this open-source office suite seek to utilize more modern C++ features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now they need to get rid of Java.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Now they need to get rid of Java.
      They've been slowly removing java bit by bit since the fork was created. Ever release removes a little bit more
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        They've been slowly removing java bit by bit since the fork was created. Ever release removes a little bit more
        It's fantastic. Soon I'll just remove Java from the system.

Comment

I'm against Java but what benefits does moving away from it offer?

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
            Lack of dependency on a heavy, slow, and bloated runtime?

Comment

AFAIR there are some startup speed benefits and from what I remember of the associated posts it removes some braindamage that was caused by forcing Java onto the codebase for political reasons.

Personally I'd rather see VCL ripped out and replaced with either GTK or Qt, but that's my opinion on all of the application specific gui toolkits.

Comment

Making LibreOffice able to be that much closer to being a truly portable app. Having any Java code takes away from that quite a bit.

Comment

There are other things that are about as bad as depending on Java, like the UNO environment, or 25 years old code - lots of it, and bad code style habits where nobody is trying to have a file named after its class and the includes might be in the "inc" dir, or in the "include" dir which might be one or more levels up the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    There are other things that are about as bad as depending on Java, like the UNO environment, or 25 years old code - lots of it, and bad code style habits where nobody is trying to have a file named after its class and the includes might be in the "inc" dir, or in the "include" dir which might be one or more levels up the tree.
                    Actually the only thing that needs Java is Base (mainly because of the database/database connection and reporting) and some extensions (sadly the grammar checker is one of them). If you don't use them you can run without Java.
                    As for UNO - it is not bad if it would be used only to provide an API and language bindings.. however some functionality is written on top of UNO API, which makes that code ugly and inefficient.
                    Code style is the least of a problem I think.. A lot more annoying is the lack of tests for many parts of the program - which makes refactoring hard and very likely causes a regression.

Comment

Working...
                    X