Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Works Great As A Linux Ultrabook

Phoronix: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Works Great As A Linux Ultrabook

Nearly one month ago I bought the third-generation Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon as one of the first laptops/ultrabooks shipping with a high-end Broadwell processor. I've been running Linux on the system since receiving it, including the past ~3 weeks as my main production system, and I remain very happy with this purchase.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the ACTUAL battery life, based on various use circumstances, particularly with Linux?

Comment

I just ordered the new 12.5" ThinkPad Yoga with basically the same guts as this.

I'd mostly be worried if everything gets initialized properly after being resumed from a sleep?

Comment

Is there any way to run triple external monitors on this thing? I'm guessing that you need the onelink dock.
        I would buy one now if knew it could do triple monitors. Otherwise, it's macbook pro for me.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
          I just ordered the new 12.5" ThinkPad Yoga with basically the same guts as this.

I'd mostly be worried if everything gets initialized properly after being resumed from a sleep?
          Plus I'd also worry about screen rotation working when placed into tablet mode, including the touch support flipping, and if the touchpad is disabled in tablet mode.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post

SnR seem to work fine.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by juancferrer View Post
              Is there any way to run triple external monitors on this thing? I'm guessing that you need the onelink dock.
              I would buy one now if knew it could do triple monitors. Otherwise, it's macbook pro for me.
              Not sure since I don't have a dock :/
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by juancferrer View Post
                There are Display Port splitters to two HDMI which with laptop HDMI port (some models only) would give 3x HDMI. There are also USB3 docking stations that can provide multiple displays (thanks to for example SMSC chips), but Linux support for them is non-existing. Those DP splitters had also mixed Linux users feedback in the past... But it works on Windows.

Comment

what about Dell?

Thanks Micheal,
                  your article tells me about Asus build quality, so it definitely sounds that "good"/mac looking zenbook are just eyecandy and it also sounds as you got your think pad for free by the tone of the article
                  By the way now I'm just curious about how it compares to Dell laptops (and not sure which of their series we should pick for a fair comparison).
                  If anyone knows...

Comment

On one hand, I want to have them please please please give me a 16GB option. But on the other hand, as none of these laptops contain DDR sockets, I know they will absolutely bend me over the barrel on cost if they do make that option available.

Things were so much simpler when you could buy the RAM you needed after you got the laptop home.

Comment

Working...
                    X